Wet Edge (Primera Stone) Start Up

Mar 2, 2016
New Orleans
We are hoping to get our Primera Stone installed ASAP (not a minute too soon, as it is HOT here in NOLA already), and just had a couple quick questions re start up.

I get the impression that most people do the start up themselves, but for some reason I find it a little intimidating. I do have the TF-100 (or whatever it is) kit, and ordered a top notch brush, so think I have what I need, and I'm not completely incompetent, but still a little overwhelmed.

Am I correct that the vast majority of folks do the start up themselves? Is it worth potentially hiring someone to take care of it the first couple of weeks, or is that just literally throwing money down the drain (badumdum).

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The plaster contractor usually takes care of the start up. Is that not the case with you?

There is no reason why you couldn't do the startup yourself. Between the test kit and knowledge on this site, you shouldn't have any worries.

Well they are going to add the initial chemicals and all that, but from my understanding, no plaster company comes back daily for the two weeks to do the tests and brush and such. Am I misinformed about that? In any case, we unfortunately don't have a choice in plaster companies, as there is only one here that offers Wet Edge.

In my case, the plasterer charged an extra $400 for start-up. But I found out pretty quickly that the guy he hired didn't know what he was doing. He came out and dumped some tablets and CYA in my skimmer a couple of times, and showed up to brush the pool once every two or three days, even though the PB said it had to be brushed daily. I called and complained and took over the start-up myself.

Note, he never tested the water, and never added any acid to the water.

In other words, you are more qualified than anyone they will send, I suggest doing it yourself unless he states it will affect warranty.

My PB dumped in 7 gallons of MA for a hot start and said good luck! He didn't have any plans to do more which was fine by me...I had TFP. He actually did give me a few pointers which I compared to the thoughts here and went with the guidance found here.

Congratulations on getting plastered soon!!! If I could take care of my new pool water, trust me, anyone can!!!! You're just probably nervous - I certainly was. But the experts here held my hand the whole way (still do when I need help). And they are very quick to answer the water balancing questions - they know time is important. I know this doesn't make any sense at all, but it's rare that someone hired to take care of the water KNOWS how to take care of it. Especially for the startup and without all the added chemicals that you really don't want in your pool.

My PB's right-hand man was in charge of my pool startup. I think he knew more than most, but still I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I'm glad I didn't, because his plan was to come out once a week. That would not have worked - my pool would not have had enough chlorine. I started testing the day the pool was filled. I texted the chlorine numbers to the guy, and he let me continue to do what I was learning on TFP. He still came out once a week, and they still wanted the pucks used for the warranty. The pucks alone weren't putting enough chlorine in, so I had to add the liquid bleach.

After 30 days, he started up the salt cell and added bags of salt to the pool. Then it was all mine! Will you be switching to a SWG system? If so, be sure to know what the plaster requires for a wait period.

Good luck! You'll do great!!! :testkit:
Suz

Thanks all for the responses. Sounds like I can handle it. I'll follow the Wet Edge directions, obviously, and I've been reading the guides here, but any particular things y'all suggest I look at? Any particular advice?

Thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.