Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Wet Edge (Primera Stone) Start Up

1. Back To Top    #1

Wet Edge (Primera Stone) Start Up

We are hoping to get our Primera Stone installed ASAP (not a minute too soon, as it is HOT here in NOLA already), and just had a couple quick questions re start up.

I get the impression that most people do the start up themselves, but for some reason I find it a little intimidating. I do have the TF-100 (or whatever it is) kit, and ordered a top notch brush, so think I have what I need, and I'm not completely incompetent, but still a little overwhelmed.

Am I correct that the vast majority of folks do the start up themselves? Is it worth potentially hiring someone to take care of it the first couple of weeks, or is that just literally throwing money down the drain (badumdum).

Any thoughts are much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

New Orleans, 15,000 gallon IG free form Wet Edge Primera Stone Riviera Coast, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump (011018), Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter (160340), Rainbow R171096 Automatic Chlorine Feeder, TF-100 Test Kit, build March-June 2016, filled June 19

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Wet Edge (Primera Stone) Start Up

The plaster contractor usually takes care of the start up. Is that not the case with you?

There is no reason why you couldn't do the startup yourself. Between the test kit and knowledge on this site, you shouldn't have any worries.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

3. Back To Top    #3

Well they are going to add the initial chemicals and all that, but from my understanding, no plaster company comes back daily for the two weeks to do the tests and brush and such. Am I misinformed about that? In any case, we unfortunately don't have a choice in plaster companies, as there is only one here that offers Wet Edge.

New Orleans, 15,000 gallon IG free form Wet Edge Primera Stone Riviera Coast, Intelliflo Variable Speed Pump (011018), Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter (160340), Rainbow R171096 Automatic Chlorine Feeder, TF-100 Test Kit, build March-June 2016, filled June 19

4. Back To Top    #4

In my case, the plasterer charged an extra $400 for start-up. But I found out pretty quickly that the guy he hired didn't know what he was doing. He came out and dumped some tablets and CYA in my skimmer a couple of times, and showed up to brush the pool once every two or three days, even though the PB said it had to be brushed daily. I called and complained and took over the start-up myself.

Note, he never tested the water, and never added any acid to the water.

In other words, you are more qualified than anyone they will send, I suggest doing it yourself unless he states it will affect warranty.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

My PB dumped in 7 gallons of MA for a hot start and said good luck! He didn't have any plans to do more which was fine by me...I had TFP. He actually did give me a few pointers which I compared to the thoughts here and went with the guidance found here.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Congratulations on getting plastered soon!!! If I could take care of my new pool water, trust me, anyone can!!!! You're just probably nervous - I certainly was. But the experts here held my hand the whole way (still do when I need help). And they are very quick to answer the water balancing questions - they know time is important. I know this doesn't make any sense at all, but it's rare that someone hired to take care of the water KNOWS how to take care of it. Especially for the startup and without all the added chemicals that you really don't want in your pool.

My PB's right-hand man was in charge of my pool startup. I think he knew more than most, but still I didn't want to leave anything to chance. I'm glad I didn't, because his plan was to come out once a week. That would not have worked - my pool would not have had enough chlorine. I started testing the day the pool was filled. I texted the chlorine numbers to the guy, and he let me continue to do what I was learning on TFP. He still came out once a week, and they still wanted the pucks used for the warranty. The pucks alone weren't putting enough chlorine in, so I had to add the liquid bleach.

After 30 days, he started up the salt cell and added bags of salt to the pool. Then it was all mine! Will you be switching to a SWG system? If so, be sure to know what the plaster requires for a wait period.

Good luck! You'll do great!!!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

7. Back To Top    #7

How can once a week work when the directions I got from WetEdge say daily brushing and pH adjustments?

Like I said, just do it yourself. You'll get tired of brushing though.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ha, yes, brushing the pool is the one time when bigger is not better!

Good info here, Wet Edge | Warranty
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

9. Back To Top    #9

My PB said that he will be stopping by daily for 2 weeks to check on chemicals and testing the water. This is one good advantage of dealing with a local company and a smaller company.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks all for the responses. Sounds like I can handle it. I'll follow the Wet Edge directions, obviously, and I've been reading the guides here, but any particular things y'all suggest I look at? Any particular advice?

Thanks again!