Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: vinyl liner came off track

1. Back To Top    #1

vinyl liner came off track

I was trying to open the pool this weekend for the first time (I moved to this house last winter) and realized the liner came off track. I have a hard time getting a service guy to come over in the past few days due to busy opening season. Here are some pictures from the pool (I had to drain some water low enough, so the water doesnt go behind the vinyl).

Is the vinyl savable? do I have to install a new liner? What are my options? anything that i should do?

IMG_5144.jpgIMG_5145.jpgIMG_5146.jpgthumb_IMG_5148_1024.jpg

Thanks in advance!
    L-shape 35" x (18" vertical width, 25 horizontal width) - 26,000 gallons
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: vinyl liner came off track

As long as it's not torn, should be able to get that back in the track. The trick is getting the bead back into the track or channel.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks JVTrain, it is not torn and i am trying to get it back on track, but it seems pretty difficult...

I also spoke to several contractors today and most of them said that it cannot be done, even if they tried, it is not a guaranteed that it would work. They would recommend installing a new liner which would cost me about 4-5k. One contractor said that he could get it fixed and re-vacuum the liner for about 1k.
    I don't know what to do at this point
    1) i know that most contractors would make more money installing new liners, so i know they are biased
    2) on the other hand, if i try to save it and spend 1k on it, but it not a guarantee and I would end up installing a new liner anyway...
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

4. Back To Top    #4

If you can warm the liner with near boiling water and work your way from one end to the other, it might work. I used the back of a large plastic comb when I had a MUCH smaller part of my liner come out of the track.

Sent from mobile device. Beware of brevity and spelling errors!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

Smile Re: vinyl liner came off track

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    If you can warm the liner with near boiling water and work your way from one end to the other, it might work. I used the back of a large plastic comb when I had a MUCH smaller part of my liner come out of the track.

Thanks for the advice. I think boiling water works pretty well... I spent two hours boiling water and slowly fixing it from one end to the other and i am almost done putting all back to the track. Will update with pictures tmr when it is not dark. The cyclone vac I bought last year for winterizing is a good use for vacuuming out the air. You may save me tons of money! THANK YOU!!!!
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

6. Back To Top    #6

Glad to hear it's working. Hopefully it stays put! Wish I had a cyclone for closing. Maybe this year...

7. Back To Top    #7

After you get it back in the track, install some liner lock. It's a t shaped rubber strip that you install to hold the liner bead in place.

Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

8. Back To Top    #8

Are you referring to those? Amazon.com : Beaded In Ground Pool Liner Lock - 120 Feet : Swimming Pool Liners : Patio, Lawn Garden

I just bought them today and looks like it at least takes 10 days for me to get them, any idea if the local store would have it? Leslies pool doesn't seem to carry those. I am using folder clip to hold the bead inside for now.

Still vacuuming the air. Any idea how long these things usually take before i can start filling water while keep the vacuum running..
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

9. Back To Top    #9

Do you know how quickly your pool fills?

10. Back To Top    #10

about 30 - 35 hours
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

11. Back To Top    #11

You could put it on a reduced fill overnight to help hold the liner in place. Once the track is in securely, you should be good. The strip is insurance.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by qxixp View Post
    Are you referring to those? Amazon.com : Beaded In Ground Pool Liner Lock - 120 Feet : Swimming Pool Liners : Patio, Lawn Garden

I just bought them today and looks like it at least takes 10 days for me to get them, any idea if the local store would have it? Leslies pool doesn't seem to carry those. I am using folder clip to hold the bead inside for now.

Still vacuuming the air. Any idea how long these things usually take before i can start filling water while keep the vacuum running..
    Yes.

Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

13. Back To Top    #13

The liner are all back in the channel. I also got the bead lock this Wednesday. Although there had been some hiccups, the pool is running and liner seems to be working fine. Some bead are hard to secure back to the channel especially inthe some areas the channel is not properly aligned, so i made the best effort to put back (tried be perfect and ended up made it worse )
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks all for the advice, you guys save me a lot of money!!
    D.E Filter
    Vinyl

15. Back To Top    #15

You can tweak it with the hot water trick. Glad it is working out!!!!!