Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Issue with leak on new Inlet

1. Back To Top    #1

Issue with leak on new Inlet

I bought a 18 x 48 Summer Escapes pool from Walmart last month and I also bought an Intex 3,000 GPH Sand filter and pump. I have finally gotten it all setup and working. I also bought an Intex 1.5 inch large pool Inlet and I had to cut a large hole in the liner for it to fit. I cut the hole perfectly and installed the Inlet but now it seems to be leaking on the bottom and also the connection of the hose to the inlet is leaking. I'm attaching some pictures so you can see. I'm not sure what else to do... I've put plumbers tape on the end of the inlet and it does not seem to fix the leaking. You can see in the picture that the weight of the hose is causing the inlet to bend a little and I'm guessing that's causing my Inlet leak.

I also have another question. I'm curious how I should hook up my pool vacuum to my skimmer. I'll also attach a picture of that. The hose I have is too big to fit and I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue with the Summer Escape skimmer.

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.
    7600 gallons AG. Hayward Sand filter. Taylor k-2006.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Issue with leak on new Inlet

Leaks are nightmares fore me. Is there any way you can use pvc n get rid of the flimsy hoses? That's what most people do.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, that's what I'll most likely have to do.

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't know if this helps or not, but I had the same problem with the leakage between the fitting and the pool myself. The pool was given to me with no pump. We bought a new one, but the old one that was one there had bigger fittings. The hole was stretched out some. The only solution I could find was putting a patch over the hole and cutting a smaller hole for the fitting. It's only been a couple days, but isn't leaking right now. Was told to try a bigger gasket, but that didn't help.

5. Back To Top    #5

It appears that the leak is coming in between the pool and the fitting? Is that correct? If it is, do you have the gasket (Large flat black circle rubber gasket) on correctly? The gasket should be on the inside of the pool. The pool hose weight pulling down should not be an issue unless it is severe.
    Tim Jacobsen Lodi Ca.
    18'x48" Intex Ultra Frame (5700 Gallons)
    TF 100 Test Kit, Speedstir, & Sample Sizer. Liquidator Installed.
    Hayward C550 Cartridge Filter (55 Sq. Ft.), 1HP Powerflo LX Pump, Pool Rover Jr.
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...uild-Questions

6. Back To Top    #6

What kind of patch did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by titleistseemore View Post
    It appears that the leak is coming in between the pool and the fitting? Is that correct? If it is, do you have the gasket (Large flat black circle rubber gasket) on correctly? The gasket should be on the inside of the pool. The pool hose weight pulling down should not be an issue unless it is severe.
    I do have it on the inside. Maybe I don't have it on tight enough?

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Newerabs View Post
    What kind of patch did you use?

- - - Updated - - -

I do have it on the inside. Maybe I don't have it on tight enough?
    Mine have rubber gaskets on both the inside and outside. The outside also has a smaller cardboard gasket which allows you to turn the nut easier to tighten. I would verify you have both, if you don't, get another one for the outside and tighten well.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I would do what synergy has suggested before what I did. I just used a vinyl pool repair kit, measured how much I needed, made sure I did way too much, cut a hole in the patch the size of the gasket and glued the patch over the hole. I didn't actually patch the hole. It was just to cover the small space in between the fitting and pool. And I did it on the inside and not outside of the pool.
    18x48 Intex easy set, 5,400 gal, used and free! Summer escapes rx1000 pump at 1075 gph. This is my 1st attempt at a pool so please cut me some slack.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Synergy2 View Post
    Mine have rubber gaskets on both the inside and outside. The outside also has a smaller cardboard gasket which allows you to turn the nut easier to tighten. I would verify you have both, if you don't, get another one for the outside and tighten well.

Cardboard gasket? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that. Can I buy that?

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Newerabs View Post
    Cardboard gasket? I'm not sure I'm familiar with that. Can I buy that?
    HD or Lowe's should have them. Check in the sink section. Kitchen sinks come with the same setup. Rubber gasket, cardboard gasket, nut.

You could probably make one but you don't necessarily need one, it only assists in turning the nut while it is backed up tight against the rubber gasket. They aren't much thicker than a sheet of paper.
    Intex 16 * 48 Ultra
    2650 Intex Sand Filter
    Hayward Thruwall Skimmer
    Hardplumbed in 2014
    TF100 Test Kit