Granular CYA question

trevorfl

Bronze Supporter
Jun 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
Hello!

My current CYA is 45 and I want to get it to 60 because I live in Orlando, FL.

I will use granular CYA with a pool sock. I read somewhere that if I don't want to put it inside the skimmer I can just add it to a floater?

Or, can I add one tablet of chlorine to the floater and don't need to get granular CYA for now. I still have a couple left from last year. I haven't use it because I am using liquid chlorine now.

Thank you.

Hello!

My current CYA is 45 and I want to get it to 60 because I live in Orlando, FL.

I will use granular CYA with a pool sock. I read somewhere that if I don't want to put it inside the skimmer I can just add it to a floater?

Or, can I add one tablet of chlorine to the floater and don't need to get granular CYA for now. I still have a couple left from last year. I haven't use it because I am using liquid chlorine now.

Thank you.
One single trichlor puck in a floater in a pool your size will only add 2.2 CYA.

You can hang the sock in front of a return and the the water flow pummel it to dissolve, or just tie it onto some kind of float and let it bob around. It'll dissolve faster with a lot of flow going through and past it, though.

In the skimmer it's less likely to get played with by kids.

Image-1 (3).jpg

Here's what I recently did. I just used the Clorox brand stabilizer and put it in a cut off leg of a pair of pantyhose. I only needed to bring my CYA up from 50 to 70. With squeezing frequently the CYA was dissolved in less than an hour.

One single trichlor puck in a floater in a pool your size will only add 2.2 CYA.

You can hang the sock in front of a return and the the water flow pummel it to dissolve, or just tie it onto some kind of float and let it bob around. It'll dissolve faster with a lot of flow going through and past it, though.

In the skimmer it's less likely to get played with by kids.

Thank you. I decided to go to Home Depot and get the granular CYA, get a pool sock and then a floater, or maybe use the skimmer for faster results.

I have a variable speed pump. It is my understanding that if I use the granular CYA I need to leave the pump running until it completely dissolves and then like 24 more hours. Should I leave the pump running at full power or can I lower the speed at night because of the noise?

If I can lower the speed, do you suggest like 75% of the power, give or take?

Thank you.

Thank you. I decided to go to Home Depot and get the granular CYA, get a pool sock and then a floater, or maybe use the skimmer for faster results.

I have a variable speed pump. It is my understanding that if I use the granular CYA I need to leave the pump running until it completely dissolves and then like 24 more hours. Should I leave the pump running at full power or can I lower the speed at night because of the noise?

If I can lower the speed, do you suggest like 75% of the power, give or take?

Thank you.
You can leave the pump on low speed. If you want to shut the pump off, pull the sock out and set it in a bucket and put it back before you turn the pump back on. The stuff actually dissolves fairly quickly if you stop and give the sock a squeeze. Could be as little as a few hours. And a nylon works faster than a sock.

You can leave the pump on low speed. If you want to shut the pump off, pull the sock out and set it in a bucket and put it back before you turn the pump back on. The stuff actually dissolves fairly quickly if you stop and give the sock a squeeze. Could be as little as a few hours. And a nylon works faster than a sock.

Thank you for the fast response.

What a coincidence. I just bought the sock and it happen to be "long lasting nylon". :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
View attachment 49209

Here's what I recently did. I just used the Clorox brand stabilizer and put it in a cut off leg of a pair of pantyhose. I only needed to bring my CYA up from 50 to 70. With squeezing frequently the CYA was dissolved in less than an hour.

I see, not hard at all. Thank you :)

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can. The stabilizer is harmless once dissolved, but I would not recommend touching the solid granules or letting youngsters play with it while it's still soaking. :swim:

Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes you can. The stabilizer is harmless once dissolved, but I would not recommend touching the solid granules or letting youngsters play with it while it's still soaking. :swim:

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.