Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Wins and Fails Survey

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Wins and Fails Survey

In the spirit of the recent Vinyl Liner Roundup thread (which was an awesome idea), I'd like to hear from people who have something about their pool that they either couldn't live without and/or what would you do different if you could do it all over again? My hope is that it will help people such as myself make smart choices when planning their new pool.
    Coming Spring 2017
    IG Vinyl, 18 x 36 25k gal, spill over spa...rest is TBD

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Wins and Fails Survey

There is several helpful threads like this already that i've been reading:

https://www.google.com/search?sitese...lefreepool.com

I asked a family member what they would do differently with their 3 year old pool.

They mentioned:
    water features, deeper shallow end, shallower deep end and more lights.

3. Back To Top    #3

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out. I did a quick search but didn't use those search terms.

Coming Spring 2017

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Nginerd, my first and ultimate advice..... get on TFP a year or so before contacting PB's! You're so smart to do your research here way ahead of the game. More and more people are doing that, and it shows in the results and their satisfaction. I wish I had found TFP before I started my pool build. But I didn't know about TFP - can't know what you haven't been told. Now, as far as satisfaction goes with my pool? Put this old lady in a sparkling clear pool and nothing else matters!!!! We LOVE our pool even with the could of, would of, should of's.

Thanks to allinspector's lead, this is a thread I think is especially good. I know I posted on one last year, but I haven't found it yet. When I do, I'll post that link, also, if it's good.
    What would you do differently, if you could rebuild your pool?

Good luck with your research! I'm looking forward to what you do with your pool build in 2017!!
    Suz
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Here is the other thread I was looking for. It was under The Coffee Shop. It was archived, so I don't think the links within the thread will work which is a shame. Maybe there's a way to get it un-archived, but I don't know. You can still get some good info from it. I'd probably have some changes now after about 9 months of our completed pool.

What's The Most Helpful Advice You've Gotten From TFP? [Archive] - Trouble Free Pool
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

I agree do lots of reading here and when you get to the design stage post your potential design online and let us give specific advice. There are just too many wrong ways to do things that many pool builders never give a second thought to.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I read for nearly 8 months and posted every question, design, etc. my build thread is already 20+ pages because of these wonderful people and all of their free advice!! We just got gunite today so I don't have any shoulda, woulda's yet but I'm hoping because of these amazing people we won't have any or at least not many and hopefully all financially related so there are no "coulda's!" Lol.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

8. Back To Top    #8

I got a few pool quotes a year ago when I was living in another house. This was before TFP

I happenned to go back and look at those quotes recently and saw that the only thing I focused on was the "design". Had zero knowledge of pool equipment and noticed that almost everything quoted was sub standard or inadequate.

I found my builder on TFP - the second choice PB was also from TFP. So, that says volumes I guess.
    Geometric pool with all Pentair equipment. Raised spa - 18" with Artic Lagoon 1" glass tiles. 3HP VS Pump, 2 skimmers, 6 returns, IC40 Salt system, Easy Touch 8 with LED color light in pool and spa. 1200 sqft of Marble White Pavers decking in Versailles pattern. Tiling and coping almost completed, Indigo Blue Prism Matrix plaster. Pool Build Thread: Houston (Katy) Pool Build - Started April 2016

9. Back To Top    #9

Lots of great comments and advice (no surprise there). The pool depth is one of my toughest decisions right now, but I can say that thanks to the advice in this thread I'm convinced to go to 4' in the shallow, just not sure about the deep end yet. Thanks to everyone that responded, I hope we continue to get such great advice!
    Coming Spring 2017

10. Back To Top    #10

The best pieces of advice I can give you.

Put some returns, jets, bubbler or whatever on the steps. Expecially if your vinyl pools steps will be outside the body of the pool. Stuff gets on the steps and is very visible in the shallow water. Some sort of teh above mentioned will help keep the dirt blown off of the steps. If the steps are outside the body of the pool, dirt, leaves and other stuff will get trapped in there and the only way to get it out is with a net and brush.

What I did do that so glad I did.
    A valve is installed on every pipe going to/from the pool. If you think you ever spring a leak in a retrurn, you can just close the valve and plug the fitting in the pool and stop the leak until such time as you can get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Nginerd View Post
    In the spirit of the recent Vinyl Liner Roundup thread (which was an awesome idea), I'd like to hear from people who have something about their pool that they either couldn't live without and/or what would you do different if you could do it all over again? My hope is that it will help people such as myself make smart choices when planning their new pool.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

11. Back To Top    #11

We didn't automate our scuppers and now we wish we would have. It's a pain to manually turn them on since we now are putting a planting bed behind them.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

12. Back To Top    #12

As already mentioned, give yourself a year after joining TFP until completion! Amazing experience here. I came late and could have learned so much more first.

Then I think it's important to consider landscape design and function first, considering how it's all going to look and function for adults, kids, pets, in all seasons. I used a 3D landscape/rendering program that allowed us to "walk through" the design, "sit" in various places, watch a video from the eyes of a visitor, etc. If you're having a safety fence, make sure it's in your drawings because it can be more dominant than you expect. If it's affordable, a landscape designer with swimming pool experience can be an asset. Lots of terrific previous tips here too!

Now that it's done? Really happy that we have a pool and we're still married
    12k IG salt; glass beads in plaster; K-2006C, K-1766, CCL, and Aussie 4in1 (HTH); Pentair Eco800 1.2HP VS; Zodiac SWC 1.3 lb/day (25 g/hr); 25" filter recycled glass; OKU solar panels; 1/2 HP solar pump; Rebel (Warrior) pool cleaner; FlowViz; prior pool AG 10k | Read Before Posting to get the best possible advice | ... and this helped me a lot!: TFPC for Beginners

13. Back To Top    #13

As I read through TFP I took tons of screenshots as I learned certain things or found useful information. Then I would sit at the computer and type a lot of them up. I have a post somewhere of things I learned on TFP. You could copy/paste that and add/modify from there if you wanted. (It's about 6 pages printed). What needsajet just said is great advice. Now that our she'll is in the ground we're trying to re-evaluate our landscaping, deck, and safety fence.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools