Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hey from Tennessee

1. Back To Top    #1

Hey from Tennessee

Hello. I joined a while back, but this is the first time I've posted anything. Our family (wife, 3 kids (18 boy, 14 girl, and 11 boy), and me) are looking forward to a fun summer at the pool with friends! I've been reading here and feel like I know enough to be dangerous. I look forward to learning more!

I relied mostly on pool store last year for water balance, but since they are out of my way a bit (and after reading about some just trying to sell products), I want to manage chemicals myself with bleach, borax, and baking soda (and muriatic acid). I never closed the pool over the winter and left on low speed and kept feeding it 3" tabs throughout winter. It stayed clear all winter and is clear currently. I kept FC around 3-5 through winter but didn't pay attention to CYA; I currently have CYA of ~80 and now know that is too high. I tested last night with FC=1.4, CC~0.2, pH=8, TA=110, CH=140, CYA=80. I decided to shock and added 2 gal 10% bleach. I also added 8oz of muriatic acid (34%) to move pH down a bit. I tested (partially) this morning and FC=7.4 and CC~0.2. I didn't check pH due to time (trying to get to work). I noticed table of minimum FC vs. CYA here, and it appears I need minimum FC of 6. I will be trying to read up more about it since don't know if I need to maintain FC at 6, if we can enter the pool with FC at 7.4, if that will damage liner to have FC at 6 or more, etc. Thanks.
    pool build 5/2015, 38k gal, IG vinyl, Waterway AquaClean Model 570-0425 (425sf) cartridge filter, Delta UV Sanitizer Model E-20, AstalPool Viron eVoP280 1 hp pump, AquaBot Millennium XE cleaner, Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006C test kit, Pulaski, TN

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: Hey from Tennessee

Hello and welcome! The good thing is you are taking 100% control with a recommended test kit. Keep reading the Pool School page and other vital links you se below in my sig and you'll do fine. Great to have you with us.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and THANK YOU for being a TFP supporter.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    East Texas

Appreciate your support.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter