Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Found my issue

1. Back To Top    #1

Found my issue

Thought everything was good. was passing the OCLT till last night. FC dropped by 4. I took off the light fixtures and sure enough... lots of algae. scrubbed em clean, so it was easy to remove. took the lights out and sat them on the side to dry out. neither light works and have water in them... guess the rubber seals have finally failed. it is a 20 year old pool.

guess i need to slam... but since i was able to scrub em out and it isn't sticking.... makes me wonder?? to be safe i guess i should... but maybe will try to pass the OCLT tonight and slam tomorrow... as the bottom sucker and filter will take the loose stuff out out soon enough.
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found my issue

Good find! We mention light niches all the time but owns are hesitant to remove the light and check. Good you did it.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

I was always worried about that being a problem... thought they were sealed in there so water couldn't get in... i looked up on you tube how to do it... one screw and pull it apart... the seals are all worn out... not sure i can really ever use them again...
    IG, 25k gallons, 20x40 ft, Plaster, Pentair sand filter, variable speed pump, have a well, TF-100 test kit, Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

I would replace it if you can. Even though water is supposed to fill the niche behind the light to keep it cool, periodically replacing the seal is a good idea.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Nice. Got a 12.5 last night and a 12 this morning FC that is.

Turns out the DPD tablets aren't as good as the powder... seems like it comes up with 1/3 less chlorine then the powder...

They did sit around all winter... guess they go bad even though wrapped?