Bayville, NJ
TF-100 #s

FC = 1.5
CC = 1
TC= 2.5
CH=250
TA=40
CYA=0-10 or less

Pool math says 3 gal Liquid Chlorine for SLAM (Pool is cloudy, aquamarine color and I can't see the main drain.)
11lbs borax or 5.5 lbs washing soda
5lbs baking soda
2.5 gallons stabilizer

Thoughts? I am trying to SLAM. Opened the pool to a dark green swamp. Lots of leaves and debris. Previous homeowner left us a mess so we could do all this learning the hard way.
It looks so much better than it did. After debris removal and vacuuming but I have a ways to go still. I will post a pic later. I gotta take the kids to school.

Thanks in advance.

Brian

You didn't post pH! Fix pH first then SLAM. Don't add CYA until you are sure that you can hold FC for a few minutes (10-15). Don't worry about TA until way later.

edit: Good job on getting a good test kit and doing some homework :)

No problem. You've got it, aim for 7.2, test after 30 minutes or so and adjust as needed (you might actually be lower than 6.8). Add enough bleach to get to 10 FC. Test in 10 minutes. If you are at 5 FC or lower, add to 10 FC, measure in 10 minutes, repeat. Once you are holding get some CYA in there, add to SLAM level and test FC more than twice a day but less than every hour.

Take lots of pictures!

fdb929477bd4414d91f55c2d003ca668.jpg
28da999f365c7e51fe1fcc50ba0f1586.jpg
73fa43d74bc09748a52d1855bba0cfd2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So pH is now 7.2. 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine. I head to the store to get some CYA. Lady says...what kind of chlorine are you using. 3" in the swim tablets in the chlorinator. She says the stabilizer is in those tabs. I said I cant keep chlorine in the pool. She says, "I dont think your chlorinator is working. Go check it out and come back." I did. Sure enough...no water flow. New one installed. Hopefully things will start to move forward now.

I would recommend reading Pool School and some more of the site overall. Tablets are not recommended since they add CYA continually and eventually, your CYA is too high and the demand for chlorine gets higher and higher. The only way to adjust it down is with a water replacement. This starts a bad cycle.

You will want to follow our advice or the pool stores advice, not both.

The chlorinator might not have been working which led to the mess that the pool is in, but mixing our advice and the pool stores advice on how to clear the pool up don't mix.

You have the proper test kit to clear it up, all you need now is bleach, testing, brushing, and maintaining! Once you have the pool clear you can choose how to chlorinate your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would recommend reading Pool School and some more of the site overall. Tablets are not recommended since they add CYA continually and eventually, your CYA is too high and the demand for chlorine gets higher and higher. The only way to adjust it down is with a water replacement. This starts a bad cycle.

I have read that but I had already bought the tablets beforehand so I will make use of them for now rather than eat it. And my CYA is currently nil so I figure I have a little time.

You can use some now to bump CYA, but the time it will take to dissolve enough tablets to get your CYA to 20 or 30 will have wasted a lot of FC. The FC needs some CYA ASAP to protect it from the sun. Otherwise all of the FC for a lot of tabs will be wasted and degraded by the UV rays.

The most economical choice is to raise CYA using stabilizer and SLAMing with bleach. ideally you should save the tabs for when you go on vacation or when your need to bump CYA by a little bit like after backwashing. The tablets don't go bad as long as they don't get wet.

I tried the tabs for the same reason earlier. It was pointless. After a week, still no CYA registered. They are bad but it takes some time for them to build up. I switched to the granular CYA. In retrospect, liquid would have been easier/faster but it does cost more.

Use Pool Math to figure out how much of stabilizer is needed. Add 1/2 of the recommended amount, circulate, retest in 48 hours. Continue until you reach the desired level. You don't want to overshoot it, that is why it is recommended to no add full amount all at once.

Amazon.com : Kem-Tek 024-6 Chlorine Stabilizer Pool and Spa Chemicals, 4 Pound : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden

I tried the tabs for the same reason earlier. It was pointless. After a week, still no CYA registered. They are bad but it takes some time for them to build up. I switched to the granular CYA. In retrospect, liquid would have been easier/faster but it does cost more.

Use Pool Math to figure out how much of stabilizer is needed. Add 1/2 of the recommended amount, circulate, retest in 48 hours. Continue until you reach the desired level. You don't want to overshoot it, that is why it is recommended to no add full amount all at once.

Amazon.com : Kem-Tek 024-6 Chlorine Stabilizer Pool and Spa Chemicals, 4 Pound : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden

Thanks for the link. That was my next question was which one to get.

Im a perfect example for not listening, and had been using the pucks...Now my cya is way too high, and trying to do a partial drain, but the heavy rain is not allowing any success at this time...By the time I do get the drain accomplished, then slam the pool, im looking at least 2 weeks before swimming....only use a few pucks to raise cya if you have too, but draining is noooo fun..

3811d9fcfc4596f4315f15dc2c2a4027.jpg

fc6609bc1782649653e1e4245b62f0f0.jpg

Update and thanks.
Chems this morning when I got home from work:

FC-5
CC-1
TC-6
CH-175
TA-90
Br-10
pH-6.8
CYA-20

Vacuumed this morning again. Need to fine tune my chemistry and then go read about cleaning the stained liner.

Please, please, please consider not using the pucks. The liquid chlorine is not much more difficult and I can promise you. If your CYA gets really high and the pool gets even a little bit away from you, you are on a bad cycle that will take you a week or two at the minimum to clear up. You are in NJ, so like me, you have about a 4-5 month swimming season. Don't lose a chunk of it to a partial drain, refill and probably a reasonably extended SLAM once you realize the store has just been milking you for cash. I moved into my house on August 4 last year and lost most of the rest of the pool season trying to get a handle on a CYA created mess.

Please, please, please consider not using the pucks. The liquid chlorine is not much more difficult and I can promise you. If your CYA gets really high and the pool gets even a little bit away from you, you are on a bad cycle that will take you a week or two at the minimum to clear up. You are in NJ, so like me, you have about a 4-5 month swimming season. Don't lose a chunk of it to a partial drain, refill and probably a reasonably extended SLAM once you realize the store has just been milking you for cash. I moved into my house on August 4 last year and lost most of the rest of the pool season trying to get a handle on a CYA created mess.

Yep. Now that I am registering some CYA in the pool I will be manually chlorinating from now on.

And many thanks to all who provided advice. SO much still to learn but at least now I can learn while enjoying the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.