Ready, set, go to the store...

TF-100 #s

FC = 1.5
    CC = 1
    TC= 2.5
    CH=250
    TA=40
    CYA=0-10 or less

Pool math says 3 gal Liquid Chlorine for SLAM (Pool is cloudy, aquamarine color and I can't see the main drain.)
    11lbs borax or 5.5 lbs washing soda
    5lbs baking soda
    2.5 gallons stabilizer

Thoughts? I am trying to SLAM. Opened the pool to a dark green swamp. Lots of leaves and debris. Previous homeowner left us a mess so we could do all this learning the hard way.
    It looks so much better than it did. After debris removal and vacuuming but I have a ways to go still. I will post a pic later. I gotta take the kids to school.

Thanks in advance.

Brian
    Approx 32000 gal. free form with vinyl liner. Hayward Sand Filter, CL200 Chlorinator
    Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit
    New to us house and pool. Much to learn.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Ready, set, go to the store...

You didn't post pH! Fix pH first then SLAM. Don't add CYA until you are sure that you can hold FC for a few minutes (10-15). Don't worry about TA until way later.

edit: Good job on getting a good test kit and doing some homework
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Sorry. pH was 6.8. Duh

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

No problem. You've got it, aim for 7.2, test after 30 minutes or so and adjust as needed (you might actually be lower than 6.8). Add enough bleach to get to 10 FC. Test in 10 minutes. If you are at 5 FC or lower, add to 10 FC, measure in 10 minutes, repeat. Once you are holding get some CYA in there, add to SLAM level and test FC more than twice a day but less than every hour.

Take lots of pictures!
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

5. Back To Top    #5

Take lots and lots of pictures along the way and you could end up as an Inspirational Thread.

Three gallons of bleach is only the first dose. If the pool is greenish, it'll probably all be gone in an hour. Don't forget that the M in SLAM is Maintain.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Approx 32000 gal. free form with vinyl liner. Hayward Sand Filter, CL200 Chlorinator
    Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

That's not terrible at all compared to what we often see. Follow the advice above, then the SLAM process and you'll be swim ready soon.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

8. Back To Top    #8

So pH is now 7.2. 3 more gallons of liquid chlorine. I head to the store to get some CYA. Lady says...what kind of chlorine are you using. 3" in the swim tablets in the chlorinator. She says the stabilizer is in those tabs. I said I cant keep chlorine in the pool. She says, "I dont think your chlorinator is working. Go check it out and come back." I did. Sure enough...no water flow. New one installed. Hopefully things will start to move forward now.

Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I would recommend reading Pool School and some more of the site overall. Tablets are not recommended since they add CYA continually and eventually, your CYA is too high and the demand for chlorine gets higher and higher. The only way to adjust it down is with a water replacement. This starts a bad cycle.
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

10. Back To Top    #10

You will want to follow our advice or the pool stores advice, not both.

The chlorinator might not have been working which led to the mess that the pool is in, but mixing our advice and the pool stores advice on how to clear the pool up don't mix.

You have the proper test kit to clear it up, all you need now is bleach, testing, brushing, and maintaining! Once you have the pool clear you can choose how to chlorinate your pool.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    I would recommend reading Pool School and some more of the site overall. Tablets are not recommended since they add CYA continually and eventually, your CYA is too high and the demand for chlorine gets higher and higher. The only way to adjust it down is with a water replacement. This starts a bad cycle.
    I have read that but I had already bought the tablets beforehand so I will make use of them for now rather than eat it. And my CYA is currently nil so I figure I have a little time.

Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

You can use some now to bump CYA, but the time it will take to dissolve enough tablets to get your CYA to 20 or 30 will have wasted a lot of FC. The FC needs some CYA ASAP to protect it from the sun. Otherwise all of the FC for a lot of tabs will be wasted and degraded by the UV rays.

The most economical choice is to raise CYA using stabilizer and SLAMing with bleach. ideally you should save the tabs for when you go on vacation or when your need to bump CYA by a little bit like after backwashing. The tablets don't go bad as long as they don't get wet.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

13. Back To Top    #13

I tried the tabs for the same reason earlier. It was pointless. After a week, still no CYA registered. They are bad but it takes some time for them to build up. I switched to the granular CYA. In retrospect, liquid would have been easier/faster but it does cost more.

Use Pool Math to figure out how much of stabilizer is needed. Add 1/2 of the recommended amount, circulate, retest in 48 hours. Continue until you reach the desired level. You don't want to overshoot it, that is why it is recommended to no add full amount all at once.

Amazon.com : Kem-Tek 024-6 Chlorine Stabilizer Pool and Spa Chemicals, 4 Pound : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Matt
    2016 Pool Build: 12k IG Blue Granite Pebblesheen, Travertine Coping & Pavers, Pentair IntelliFlo, Intellichlor, Easytouch, Clean & Clear 320, Heliocol Solar - TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    SWG Run Time Calculator

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoore7 View Post
    I tried the tabs for the same reason earlier. It was pointless. After a week, still no CYA registered. They are bad but it takes some time for them to build up. I switched to the granular CYA. In retrospect, liquid would have been easier/faster but it does cost more.

Use Pool Math to figure out how much of stabilizer is needed. Add 1/2 of the recommended amount, circulate, retest in 48 hours. Continue until you reach the desired level. You don't want to overshoot it, that is why it is recommended to no add full amount all at once.

Amazon.com : Kem-Tek 024-6 Chlorine Stabilizer Pool and Spa Chemicals, 4 Pound : Swimming Pool Chlorine : Patio, Lawn Garden
    Thanks for the link. That was my next question was which one to get.

Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

There are multiple brands. I think I got mine at Lowes. It is sold as Chlorine Stabilizer in granular form. Put it in a sock and then put it in your skimmer or hang it in front of a return. It will take a little while to dissolve.
    Matt
    SWG Run Time Calculator

16. Back To Top    #16

Im a perfect example for not listening, and had been using the pucks...Now my cya is way too high, and trying to do a partial drain, but the heavy rain is not allowing any success at this time...By the time I do get the drain accomplished, then slam the pool, im looking at least 2 weeks before swimming....only use a few pucks to raise cya if you have too, but draining is noooo fun..
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

17. Back To Top    #17

Lots of good info in this thread. Nice work everybody!

Print this out and put it with your test kit, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

18. Back To Top    #18

Update and thanks.
    Chems this morning when I got home from work:

FC-5
    CC-1
    TC-6
    CH-175
    TA-90
    Br-10
    pH-6.8
    CYA-20

Vacuumed this morning again. Need to fine tune my chemistry and then go read about cleaning the stained liner.

Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

Please, please, please consider not using the pucks. The liquid chlorine is not much more difficult and I can promise you. If your CYA gets really high and the pool gets even a little bit away from you, you are on a bad cycle that will take you a week or two at the minimum to clear up. You are in NJ, so like me, you have about a 4-5 month swimming season. Don't lose a chunk of it to a partial drain, refill and probably a reasonably extended SLAM once you realize the store has just been milking you for cash. I moved into my house on August 4 last year and lost most of the rest of the pool season trying to get a handle on a CYA created mess.
    25,000 gallon vinyl pool, Hayward sand filter

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor6408 View Post
    Please, please, please consider not using the pucks. The liquid chlorine is not much more difficult and I can promise you. If your CYA gets really high and the pool gets even a little bit away from you, you are on a bad cycle that will take you a week or two at the minimum to clear up. You are in NJ, so like me, you have about a 4-5 month swimming season. Don't lose a chunk of it to a partial drain, refill and probably a reasonably extended SLAM once you realize the store has just been milking you for cash. I moved into my house on August 4 last year and lost most of the rest of the pool season trying to get a handle on a CYA created mess.
    Yep. Now that I am registering some CYA in the pool I will be manually chlorinating from now on.

And many thanks to all who provided advice. SO much still to learn but at least now I can learn while enjoying the pool.
    Pool installed 2007
    TF-100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast