Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pump and Warranty

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Pump and Warranty

Hi Everyone

We had a new pool built just under 2 years ago and have had it maintained until now by the company who built it.

Unfortunately, last week the pump failed but when we returned it back to the manufacturer for replacement under the 2 year warranty they informed us that the damaged caused voided the warranty.

It looks like the water has been leaking from the bottom of the pump and corroded the metal (cast aluminium?) case. Sections of the case are completely missing, please see attached photo.

Could anyone advise me if this is even possible to happen in such a short space of time even if the pool has been badly maintained or was an old pump installed.

Thank you Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images
    8mx4mx1.2m gunite with mosaic tiles, Sandstone coping, Saci Optima 75 M pump, AstralPool Vesubio 600 Sand Filter, SMC20 Salt Water Chlorinator, PoolBasic EVO Ph Regulator.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Pool Pump and Warranty

Welcome to TFP

I looks like the pump had a leak for a very long time, yes, with water dripping like that it can ruin a pump within a year or 2.. what is your salt level for your pool? if the pool company has maintained it have them replace it...

I hope this helps
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for help.

Salt level now is just over 5000 ppm, but could have been anything over the last 2 years. The user manual for SWG chlorinator states 5000 to 6000 ppm which seems high.

Which other bits of the pool equipment might also be damaged?
    8mx4mx1.2m gunite with mosaic tiles, Sandstone coping, Saci Optima 75 M pump, AstralPool Vesubio 600 Sand Filter, SMC20 Salt Water Chlorinator, PoolBasic EVO Ph Regulator.

4. Back To Top    #4

It looks like the seal failed which is part of the pump. So I would argue it should be covered under warranty.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

Salinity range for that SWG is 4000-5000.

http://www.oceanic.cz/download/en/smc_20_30_manual.pdf
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you all for your comments, they are greatly appreciated.

Here's a link to the manual I found on the internet for the SMC20. The drawings in the manual seem to match, so I'm reasonable sure that it's the right one.

http://welldana.magimage1.navipartne...B_original.pdf

It states that the salt level should be "5-6 kg/m3" which I interpreted to be 5000-6000 ppm.

The person who supplied the pump to the pool builder/maintainer said that the damage was caused by acid. I did notice that the ph regulator often had a reading 6.4 or 6.8, is having the ph at this level for the past 2 years likely to have caused this damage?

We have now given the pool maintenance man the boot and bought a new pump.

Going forward should I be worried that more of the pool equipment will be damaged like the pump and which bits should I check?