Hayward Salt and Swim 3C

Looks like a re-package of their standard salt water chlorine generator. Same chemistries, same power requirements, same controls.

Just because they call it user friendly, it will sell. All they need is "But wait...there's more" or "get the second one for free, just pay for shipping and handling" in their ad.

I am contemplating changing my old and inefficient set up and would like to hear from anybody about the quality,ease of use and efficiency of Hayward S&S 3C.

I just switched to salt and after researching a bunch of these, I ended up going with the Hayward S&S 3C. I thought it was a good value since I only paid $399 for the whole system and most if not all of the systems out there don't have but a year warranty on the cell. Just be careful which one you decide on. Have seen some only give you a 90day warranty if you DIY install. My decision was based on the fact that Hayward has been in the pool business a very long time and stand behind their products. I have called them numerous times about this system and was never given the run around. Only problem I have with them is their water chemistry requirements for the system (a whole other story). Other advice I can give people is check with your credit card company about an extended warranty on products you purchase with their card. Even though the S&S is only warranted for a year (controller is 2) I got an extra year on all of it by using the card.

I really wanted to convert to salt and did not want to spend the big$ on an Autopilot to do so (that is what I would have bought if I spent the big $). I settled on the SAS 3C for my 27K gallon IGP. I am on my 3rd year and am VERY PLEASED. I expected the cell to only last one year (it was supposed to be disposable) but I am on my same cell going into my 4th year. My ONLY issue was I re did ALL of the plumbing on my pad last year to clean it up. I did not reread the instructions and had some turns in my PVC close to the cell. The cell was not turning on and I later found out it was because of turbulence in the water (you MUST have at LEAST 10 inches before and after the cell of straight pipe). ALSO there is a SPECIFIC way the pipe must be cut to avoid other issues. The system includes a pipe cutting template - DO NOT LOSE THIS AS GETTING A NEW ONE FROM HAYWARD IS IMPOSSIBLE (it took ALL of last summer to get one but I figured it out)! So before my issues were properly diagnosed, Hayward offered to replace the controller. That was in May of 2016. I did not get the replacement controller until LABOR DAY 2016. That is a SERIOUS problem. I would have lost the ENTIRE season if the controller was actually bad! I also have a new Hayward VSP and the display is going. I have called Hayward 2x and they claim to arrange for repair but I never get contacted by anyone.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.