Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Saltwater System

1. Back To Top    #1

New Saltwater System

Hello all, I have an Intex 12x30 metal frame pool. I recently picked up a saltwater system on clearance so decided to go the saltwater route this year, after using chlorine years prior.
    I filled my pool and dumped a 20kg bag of salt and let it run for 24 hours before turning on the SWS, as the instructions stated. Now I'm reading that you should use chlorine/bleach in the first 24 hours before turning on the SWS......well I didn't do that!
    The SWS ran for the first time this evening (set to run for 1 hour) and the pump is still running. I haven't added any CYA to it yet as I'm having issues finding a store that carries it around here. I should be able to pick some up tomorrow though.
    What should I do at this point? Any advice for this saltwater system newbie would be much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide
    Fletcher, OK

Re: New Saltwater System

Welcome to TFP

Grab a bottle of bleach from your laundry room and pour half in

If you can not find CYA 100% you can use dichlor instead, use poolmath to find out how much to use per day down at the bottom you can see how many oz will add CYA

Try running your SWG for 8 hours and test free chlorine to see where you are at and adjust from there

Let us know if you have any other questions
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: New Saltwater System

Welcome to TFP!

Here is my favorite saltwater pool page, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach