Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Saltwater System

1. Back To Top    #1

New Saltwater System

Hello all, I have an Intex 12x30 metal frame pool. I recently picked up a saltwater system on clearance so decided to go the saltwater route this year, after using chlorine years prior.
    I filled my pool and dumped a 20kg bag of salt and let it run for 24 hours before turning on the SWS, as the instructions stated. Now I'm reading that you should use chlorine/bleach in the first 24 hours before turning on the SWS......well I didn't do that!
    The SWS ran for the first time this evening (set to run for 1 hour) and the pump is still running. I haven't added any CYA to it yet as I'm having issues finding a store that carries it around here. I should be able to pick some up tomorrow though.
    What should I do at this point? Any advice for this saltwater system newbie would be much appreciated!

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New Saltwater System

Welcome to TFP

Grab a bottle of bleach from your laundry room and pour half in

If you can not find CYA 100% you can use dichlor instead, use poolmath to find out how much to use per day http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html down at the bottom you can see how many oz will add CYA

Try running your SWG for 8 hours and test free chlorine to see where you are at and adjust from there

Let us know if you have any other questions
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New Saltwater System

Welcome to TFP!

Here is my favorite saltwater pool page, Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach