Looking for help with my test readings

Lanton

May 7, 2016
South Dakota
We bought a house in February with a pool as described in my signature. I found this site after pool store guy opened the pool May 3rd. The water was crystal clear when opened and turned cloudy shortly after. I didn't do any testing prior to his opening because I didn't know squat.

I still don't know squat, but I think I am learning!

My chlorine levels have always read very high. I've adjusted the chlorine feeder down expecting to see drops in my chlorine levels, but they've remained fairly stable. It is now set at just under 1 on the dial.

I used a Taylor K 2006 kit to get the following numbers:

5/28/16
FC = 10 ppm
CC = 1 ppm
pH = 7.0
Alk = 170 ppm
CA = >100 ppm

I drained 6% to 7% of the volume the next day and tested again:

5/30/16
FC = 7.2 ppm
CC = 0 ppm
pH = 7.0
Alk = 130 ppm
CA = >100 ppm

I drained another 6% to 7% of the volume today and will test again tomorrow.

Does it seem reasonable that my FC numbers would be so high with my chlorine feeder turned down so low and my CYA numbers what they are? From what I have read it seems as though all of my chlorine should be locked up in the CYA and would read low.

My water temperature ranges around 74° to 76°.

Thank you,
Luke

Welcome to TFP!

The FC test reads all the chlorine including that bound to the CYA.

You need to replace a lot more water, likely at least 50% and then stop using the tablets which are raising the CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.