Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for help with my test readings

1. Back To Top    #1

South Dakota

Looking for help with my test readings

We bought a house in February with a pool as described in my signature. I found this site after pool store guy opened the pool May 3rd. The water was crystal clear when opened and turned cloudy shortly after. I didn't do any testing prior to his opening because I didn't know squat.

I still don't know squat, but I think I am learning!

My chlorine levels have always read very high. I've adjusted the chlorine feeder down expecting to see drops in my chlorine levels, but they've remained fairly stable. It is now set at just under 1 on the dial.

I used a Taylor K 2006 kit to get the following numbers:

FC = 10 ppm
    CC = 1 ppm
    pH = 7.0
    Alk = 170 ppm
    CA = >100 ppm

I drained 6% to 7% of the volume the next day and tested again:

FC = 7.2 ppm
    CC = 0 ppm
    pH = 7.0
    Alk = 130 ppm
    CA = >100 ppm

I drained another 6% to 7% of the volume today and will test again tomorrow.

Does it seem reasonable that my FC numbers would be so high with my chlorine feeder turned down so low and my CYA numbers what they are? From what I have read it seems as though all of my chlorine should be locked up in the CYA and would read low.

My water temperature ranges around 74 to 76.

Thank you,
    29k gallon in-ground pool 20' x 40' with vinyl liner
    Sand filter
    Automatic chlorine feeder with 3" pucks
    Pentair gas heater
    Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Looking for help with my test readings

Welcome to TFP!

The FC test reads all the chlorine including that bound to the CYA.

You need to replace a lot more water, likely at least 50% and then stop using the tablets which are raising the CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Looking for help with my test readings

Welcome to TFP!

Try the extended CYA test diluted with tap water. It could be much higher than 100, even 200 or 300. Directions here, Pool School - Extended Test Kit Directions
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach