questions about cya and swg

jered

May 20, 2016
marietta, ny
so I'm running a metal frame intex 12x30 pool approx 1720 gallons with a 1000 gph pump and intex salt water system with copper. I'm going to disconnect the copper on Thursday. it's been filled since last Friday and the water looks very clear. I started with 40lbs of salt and 12 oz bleach. but I've been getting readings on the test strips (I'm planning on buying a real test kit in a week or so, as soon as finances allow) of 0ppm fc (I've been adding about 12oz bleach everyday), ph between 6.2 and 6.8, ta around 40. I just added 18oz by weight of cya today (could not find it till today) 12oz bleach and 24oz by weight of baking soda this evening. I read on this forum that cya takes up to a week to dissolve. so should I disregard/discontinue readings for a week?

Did you add the CYA in a sock as shown here, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals? You can retest CYA 24 hours after it is dissolved from the sock. You cannot stop testing chlorine, test and maintain chlorine based on the new CYA level you added, Chlorine CYA Chart Use bleach to keep FC above minimum at all times if the SWG isn't keeping up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.