Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water - misused stabilizer granules?

1. Back To Top    #1

Cloudy water - misused stabilizer granules?

Hello all!

TFP was a big help to me when I did my SLAM last year but, now I have a different question. I did a Drain & Refill to open the pool this season (for a couple different reasons) and my water readings were like so:

FC 4
    ph 7.2
    CYA 0
    CH 300
    TA - 180 - 350 (not sure I am reading it correctly when I add a drop it swirls read and then turns back to green!?!)

So I knew I needed to add Stabilizer to not lose chlorine drastically during the sunny parts of the day. This weekend I added 3 lbs of hth granule Stabilizer through a sock in my skimmer - I also added a pound granules to my other skimmer (very slowly). Its been a couple days and my sock has still not completely dissolved but the water is very murky or cloudy. I can see the bottom of the shallow end but not the main drain in the deep end. I am thinking I did not follow the steps closely and cut a corner or skipped a step. I read in one place that when adding stabilizer you should circulate not filter the filter - I did not do this. I watched one video where it said you can add the granules directly to a skimmer as long as you do it slowy and confirm that it is not just pooling at the bottom of the basket. Based on everything I read here I probably should not have done that.

Here are my readings from TF-100 tonight:

FC 3.5
    ph 7.8
    CC .5
    CH 300
    TA - 180-350 (swirling issue)
    CYA 20

So do you think the cloudiness has anything to do with the Stabilizer? We also swam quite a bit this weekend with the holiday could be something else...???

Should I SLAM or is it something different?

Thank you for your help!!!
    30,000 gallons, in-ground plaster, well water, Hayward tri-star pump, Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 filter. TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cloudy water - misused stabilizer granules?

How are you chlorinating your pool?
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

Bleach - Clorox brand from Sams.

4. Back To Top    #4

Not very likely that CYA is clouding your pool. More likely there is some algae blooming. Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if something is growing.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Thank you - I will test in the morning and post results.

6. Back To Top    #6

Alrighty so I tested this morning and my FC was 2.5 and CC was still .5.

7. Back To Top    #7

Since it is close I would elevate FC to 8ish for a few days.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

I am on it and will report back.