Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering your pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Covering your pool

Is it necessary to put the cover on your pool every night or can you leave it off all summer?
    16' x 48" (5,145 gallons) Coleman Power Steel round frame above ground pool
    1500-2500 gallon Coleman model# 90401E cartridge filter (stock)
    Intex Deluxe Wall Mounted Skimmer
    TF-100 test kit
    Set up and Filled May 2017 (2nd summer with it)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Covering your pool

We cover ours every night until it gets to warm, then we leave it off for a night. Just a balance of how warm you want to keep the water. We like it around 84-88. Once it gets over 88, we leave it off for a night to bring the temp back down. It also keeps the bugs out by putting the cover on.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

3. Back To Top    #3

We aren't picky about temp, we have swam twice so far, both at 74 degrees. I just wasn't sure if it effected the chemistry at all.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I put mine on at night, as it goes into the 50's here most nights, and it helps keep too much heat from escaping. I usually take it back off in the day, as it seems to actually heat up more if it's sunny without the cover. We also have periods of high pollen, the cover helps some.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Keeping heat in the pool overnight is the only reason to keep it covered. Leaving it uncovered is fine.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by DobermanOwner View Post
    We aren't picky about temp, we have swam twice so far, both at 74 degrees. I just wasn't sure if it effected the chemistry at all.
    Cover a pool reduces the outgassing of CO2 which is the primary driver of pH rise. A covered pool will experience lower acid demand of your pool's pH tends to rise.

An opaque cover during the day, or one that absorbs UV, will also cut down on FC loss by reducing the amount of active chlorine lost to photolysis.

Finally, a cover should be removed at least a couple of hours per week to allow chloramines to outgas.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates