Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One week after starting TFPC Results

1. Back To Top    #1

Brandon, MS

One week after starting TFPC Results

It's been one week since a light mustard algae problem finally made me embrace the TFPC method.

Last season my new pool was completed on July 2. The pool store instructed me to add 20 lbs of CYA, 2 lbs of shock once a week, algaecide weekly, and 25 oz of clarifier per week. This maintained my FC at 1-1.5, which is exactly where the pool store told me to keep it.

By September 30, I had battled a huge green algae problem, and was battling mustard algae at season end. The pool store solution was to try to sell me "activator" for $300 which will "guarantee" that I never have algae again. Thankfully, I declined. The next solution was to "shock" the pool with 10 lbs of chlorine and floc the pool (another $75 in chemicals).

I got the pool clear and maintained it with Cal Hypo throughout the winter, at least good enough to keep it clear. We have a fairly warm season all year, so we don't cover the pool...we still like to sit by it during winter.

I opened the pool in March of this year for swimming, and added about a 1 lb of Cal Hypo every two days, and still couldn't get chlorine above a 1. Three mustard algae blooms by May 15th, each time using about $35 of sodium bromide per the pool store.

After TFPC:

I performed the SLAM procedure as directed, within four days the water was perfectly clear. FC loss about 2-2.5 per day now. About 70 oz of 10% bleach per day at a total cost of about $1.50 per day. If things keep going like this the rest of the season, I will spend less on all my maintenance costs than I did last year in two months.

The TFPC method is awesome!
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio

Re: One week after starting TFPC Results

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Kind of amazing how easy it is, huh?

With all the money you'll save.... CLICK HERE to Become a Supporter!! Somebody had to ask.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Nice job clearing up your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach