Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: One week after starting TFPC Results

1. Back To Top    #1

One week after starting TFPC Results

It's been one week since a light mustard algae problem finally made me embrace the TFPC method.

Before:

Last season my new pool was completed on July 2. The pool store instructed me to add 20 lbs of CYA, 2 lbs of shock once a week, algaecide weekly, and 25 oz of clarifier per week. This maintained my FC at 1-1.5, which is exactly where the pool store told me to keep it.

By September 30, I had battled a huge green algae problem, and was battling mustard algae at season end. The pool store solution was to try to sell me "activator" for $300 which will "guarantee" that I never have algae again. Thankfully, I declined. The next solution was to "shock" the pool with 10 lbs of chlorine and floc the pool (another $75 in chemicals).

I got the pool clear and maintained it with Cal Hypo throughout the winter, at least good enough to keep it clear. We have a fairly warm season all year, so we don't cover the pool...we still like to sit by it during winter.

I opened the pool in March of this year for swimming, and added about a 1 lb of Cal Hypo every two days, and still couldn't get chlorine above a 1. Three mustard algae blooms by May 15th, each time using about $35 of sodium bromide per the pool store.

After TFPC:

I performed the SLAM procedure as directed, within four days the water was perfectly clear. FC loss about 2-2.5 per day now. About 70 oz of 10% bleach per day at a total cost of about $1.50 per day. If things keep going like this the rest of the season, I will spend less on all my maintenance costs than I did last year in two months.

The TFPC method is awesome!
    Greg - Mississippi
    18' x 36'* 23,000 gallons * Vinyl * Manual Chlorination * Pentair Sand Filter * Pentair Variable Speed Pump * Polaris 360 * TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: One week after starting TFPC Results

Wonderful!

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Kind of amazing how easy it is, huh?

With all the money you'll save.... CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Somebody had to ask.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Nice job clearing up your pool!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach