Help, Can't seem to keep FC levels up

Hello fellow Texan and welcome to TFP! :wave: We can and look forward to helping you ... BUT ... yes there's a but ...... you MUST have the proper test kit. The test strips are worthless and so is pool store testing. Everything we help you do depends on the accurate tests from a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I recommend the TF-100 (XL Option) with Speed Stir for easy mixing. Hit-up your local HEB or Wal-Mart for "regular" Bravo or Great Value bleach to save some $$.

If we assume your CYA is 30, you need to have at least 4-5 ppm FC in there. Is your water cloudy or showing any signs of green anywhere? FC disappears either from the sun or algae, so we need to help you figure out which one it is with the right test kit. Let us know if you have any questions and we'd be glad to help.

HI there!!!
I have already ordered the TF-100!! :) Just patiently....umm....impatiently waiting for it to get here lol
Water is crystal clear, no green anywhere.
I have put in an algae guard & a clarifier
*OH yeah, I have 3 bottles already of great value bleach!

Great Value bleach - perfect. But no more pool store products. Bleach good .... pool store junk bad. :) For your size pool, just add a 1/2 gallon of bleach to the water each evening. Just stick to that routine for now until your kit arrives. Once you get that kit, we will get all surgical on your water. Everything will make MUCH better sense once you pull-up your own test results. You'll see.

You can if you want to in order to help produce some FC, but remember it won't be as efficient because we really aren't sure of your CYA and stuff. Once we have good numbers we can get really specific about those things. What you may want to do it read the Pool School - Water Balance for SWGs page for a little more background before your kit arrives.

FYI - Once your kit gets here, we'll have you confirm CYA and adjust to 70 to help protect the FC from your SWG. It will all make sense at that time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Alright! So CYA and FC are our #1 concerns to adjust. But before doing so .... what does your water look like? Cloudy at all? Any green at all? We also need you to test FC and CC with the powder & drops. That's a key test. Use the chlorine labeled tube and fill to 10ml mark. Add one heaping scoop of power then mix. Count drops until clear and divide by 2. After that, add the 5 drops of R-0003 and if needed, add R-0871 drops until clear to get the "CC" reading. We need that CC reading too. :)

Have you added any of the bleach? If so, after adding the DPD powder and getting no color change, you should still add the R-0003 reagent to see if you get a color change with that. Turning pink after you add the powder means you have some FC. Adding drops of R-0871 tells you how much. After the solution gets clear (or is clear right away in your case) add the R-0003 reagent as in the instructions. If it then turns pink, you have combined chlorines (CC). Using the R-0871 reagent dropwise tells you how much. CC above 0.5 ppm is a bad thing and means you have something growing in your pool. There are instructions with your kit and more detailed instructions here: Extended Test Kit Directions

Since you know your CYA is less than 20, you need to get some in the pool. Use Pool Math to tell you how much. Assume your CYA is 10 ppm and target adding enough to reach 30 ppm. If you need help with Pool Math, please ask. Trying playing around with it by putting in your assumed pool volume and the rest of the results you have in the Now column. The target column is what you'd like them to be at. The fields on the right tell you how much of each chemical you'd need to add to get from your Now to your Target.

Review the SLAM procedure in my signature because that's the process you need to follow now that you have the tools.

Ok I added drops and no color change at all
so I'll start working on my CYA
Thanks! I'll update when I get some numbers ")

- - - Updated - - -

Ok!!! So sitting here typing. I looked down and it is a light light pink!! So im going to retest.

So that means you have 0 FC and 0 CC. 0 CC is good but 0 FC is bad. What I would do while your getting your CYA purchased or added, add enough bleach to target 10 ppm FC. 30 minutes later, test your FC and CC again. Post those numbers.

Response to your light pink comment:

If you let the solution sit for a minute or so at either stage, it may turn pink. This is a false reading. The tests should be performed quickly and any later color change if it is left sitting should be ignored.

Last edited:
Ok, so I cannot get a CYA reading :(
I added the recommended dose to the pool I can still see the black dot on the bottom of the tube I'm not really sure what it supposed be doing "/

FC 7
CC 0.5 :(
PH 7.4

Im still working on bringing the FC Up.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.