Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump pressure

My pump pressure is fine if I have it set to circulate but if I turn it to filter my pressure rises to 20. I put new sand in it this year thinking that was the problem, it didn't help. It's a crystal flo 2 filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump pressure

Any valves turned to limit how water is returning to the pool? When I have my Polaris on a return my pressure reads higher than when nothing is in the return.

Just another check-when you turn your pump off the guage goes down to zero....right? That will rule out a defective guage.

Its unfortunate you changed the sand, many times all it needs is a good deep cleaning.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

All the valves are open and yes gauge goes to zero when pump is off. I am at my wit's end over this.

4. Back To Top    #4

How do u deep clean the sand?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by lynzizzle View Post
    How do u deep clean the sand?
    Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you!
    Lynzizzle

IG, 25k gal (est.), concrete free form, Hayward S-244T 300lb sand filter,
    well water, Pump: AO Smith 3/4 hp, VSpd: Unknown, Pool Age: Unknown
    Welcome to our OOL. Notice there's no "P" in it?

7. Back To Top    #7

BarbiAnn - Pressure of 20 is not a problem. Do you still have good flow out of your returns back into the pool? Are you seeing any downside with the pressure? What is driving your concern to lower it? Every pool is different, mine runs at twenty pretty consistently. Please fill out your signature with all your pool's details including size of pool and pump. That info will help everyone's outlook on your situation.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

My post above has the signature. When using the site mobile it doesn't carry over.

My normal PSI is 15. At 25 PSI the returns lose all their pressure and the skimmers stop taking in water.
    Lynzizzle

9. Back To Top    #9

Lynzizzle - my post was to BarbiAnn the OP (original poster). If you are having concerns please start your own thread rather than hijack another's . It's no problem, we just want to make sure that BarbiAnn gets the help she's requesting. As for your setup, if your clean pressure is 15 then you should be backwashing your filter when your pressure climbs to 19 psi. That is the recommended 25% increase over clean pressure. When your filter gets too dirty, the water simply can not make it through your filter effectively and your pressure maxes out around that 25 psi.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions we can start a new thread or a moderator can split this one off. Good luck!

10. Back To Top    #10

When the pressure is at 20 my return flow is very weak, once I back wash the pressure goes down and return flow back into pool is good for about 15 mins then pressure rises again. I h as very a 21st pool with a crystal flo 2 filter, I think the pump is the star- rite. Circulate works fine. Thanks for any help.

11. Back To Top    #11

OH! I wasn't trying to take over! hahaha!
    Lynzizzle

12. Back To Top    #12

Barbi - What is your clean pressure right after you backwash? It is unusual for a sand filter pressure to rise that fast again, even if the pool is really cloudy. Are you backwashing long enough? Are you rinsing for at least 30 seconds after backwashing before returning to filtering? You should backwash once your clean pressure raises 25%, which is likely mush less than 20 psi since your flow falls dramatically there.

Lynn - I know you weren't and definitely no problem at all. I hope I didn't come across as rude

13. Back To Top    #13

Regular pressure is between 10 and 15, back washing for about 2 minutes and no not running rinse.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would target backwash then at a pressure no higher than 18psi then. If you start to see diminishing returns at pressures lower than that then I would lean to 10 as starting pressure and backwash at 10. Rinsing is a critical step to help settle the sand after backwashing. It may help distribute the sand evenly giving you more surface area to filter with lengthening the time between backwashes.

If you are feeling up to it, deep cleaning your sand may help a lot. It's pretty easy provided you can get your multiport valve off. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...jVBhFfmsfVbT_w

15. Back To Top    #15

I just completely changed the sand on Sunday hoping that would fix the problem but it didnt. Backwashing is not a problem, the problem is I would have to do it ALL day to keep pressure down.

16. Back To Top    #16

Oh yeah sorry, i forgot you replaced your sand already. How does your water look? You should really not have to backwash that often. Please post a full set of numbers just to start eliminating issues and update your signature with your pool and equipment specifications. Thanks.

17. Back To Top    #17

What do you mean by full st of numbers? I will update my signature.

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok, I think I got my signature update and found book that came with my pool. It says normal pressure should be between 13- 19 psi, so I guess it's normal but output to pool diminish's after 15 minutes.
    Revelation 21'x5' vinyl, Cristal-Flo II Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter, Model #145661

19. Back To Top    #19

If flow is good right after backwashing and then it decreases after a short period of time, most likely you are filtering out something and usually it is algae. Post a full set of test results and also perform a OCLT (see pool school).
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    If flow is good right after backwashing and then it decreases after a short period of time, most likely you are filtering out something and usually it is algae. Post a full set of test results and also perform a OCLT (see pool school).
    Ok, I will buy the testing kit this weekend and post the results.

Revelation 21'x5' vinyl, Cristal-Flo II Sta-Rite High Rate Sand Filter, Model #145661

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast