Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Pad Location

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Pool Pad Location

Sorry guys, I searched, but couldn't find anything. I have 16'x32' APG. I just added a second skimmer and am thinking of moving the equipment pad to the side of the house.

Pump is 1.5HP Pentair Superflo VS 34001. At the new pad the pump inlet will be 3.5' above water line 45' away (figure 60' through the pipe). I'm running all 2". I know the pump can handle that, but what is everyone's take on this? I can gladly upload some pictures to give you a better idea. I don't want to do something without asking for advise first. I was even thinking of just running 2" flex everywhere underground so NO fittings are underground.

Thoughts?

My second option would be to put the pad in the middle of the yard ~ would be ugly and a little pain to access the heater for the spa in winter... but would be 10' of run before getting to the pool

Thanks guys!
    13.6K AG (I think?) 32'x16' Oval, Pentair SM8150 cartridge, Pentair SR400LP, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5HP pump, Installed spring 2014 (hand me down, 4 years old when acquired), TF-100 Pool water test kit w/speed stir, Intex SWG (going since 2014), Well Water used for fill/top off

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Pad Location

I prefer hard PVC over flex, but we get no hard freezes. Not sure what the norm is in your area.

The pump will work fine as you describe. Priming might take a little longer. One option to help would be adding check valve on the suction lines. Use good flapper type ones, like Jandy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I prefer hard PVC over flex, but we get no hard freezes. Not sure what the norm is in your area.
    It does freeze here in Maryland. Flex is just what I've seen pool companies use, but I have easy access to hard pipe. I can hard pipe it, would be cheaper, but can I ask why? Just out of curiosity?

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    The pump will work fine as you describe. Priming might take a little longer. One option to help would be adding check valve on the suction lines. Use good flapper type ones, like Jandy.
    Thanks, hadn't thought of that but will do!
    13.6K AG (I think?) 32'x16' Oval, Pentair SM8150 cartridge, Pentair SR400LP, Hayward Power Flo Matrix 1.5HP pump, Installed spring 2014 (hand me down, 4 years old when acquired), TF-100 Pool water test kit w/speed stir, Intex SWG (going since 2014), Well Water used for fill/top off

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Generally, we think of hard pipe as a more permanent connection and it is certainly a bit less prone to leak. Flex leaks are reported hefre on the forum more so than hard piping.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with what Dave said, but there are many posts that refer to using flex PVC due to dealing with the freeze cycles, I have no experience with that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Thanks guys, no issue with freezing..I'll blow the lines out and winterize. Hard pipe it is.

7. Back To Top    #7

I think the concern was the ground shifting from the freeze thaw cycles not necessarily the water in the pipes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator