Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First backwash of my DE filter and DE came out of the returns

1. Back To Top    #1

Phoenix AZ

First backwash of my DE filter and DE came out of the returns

Hi, this is my first pool and I've owned it for about five years, but I just took over maintenance about a month ago. I knew zero about pools but that seemed to be about the same as the guy who was maintaining it before me. I've done quite a bit of reading here and have found the advice helpful.

I know the filters (I have two filters, four pumps and two skimmers on two separate systems for the one pool - why, I don't know) were cleaned about six months ago and some of the grids replaced. We had the pool drained and refilled about a month ago and, while it was cloudy for a day after the refill, it has been crystal clear ever since.

I backwashed this morning (just a push-pull valve) and put DE in the skimmers, about 5 lbs in each. One was fine, but the other spewed some DE out of the returns for about a minute, which has turned the pool cloudy. This leads to three questions:

1. How can I clear my pool?
    2. How do I know if that filter has enough DE on it?
    3. Does my filter or my plumbing need a major repair?
    50,000 gallon plaster in-ground salt pool with two 60 sq ft DE filters, two Intellichlor IC60 SWGs, two Intelliflo VS pumps, two Whisperflo pumps, two Pentair 400K BTU NG heaters, PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system...two everything.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: First backwash of my DE filter and DE came out of the returns

There must be a problem in the filter that allowed DE to pass. Tear it down, clean and inspect it. Then recharge it and vacuum.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Phoenix, AZ

Re: First backwash of my DE filter and DE came out of the returns

You will have to tear down the filter. Clean the filters and check for any holes in the fabric and also any cracks/broken areas where the filter meets the manifold and check for cracks in the manifold and there is usually a washer the fits the manifold to the pipe. I once had only two very small tears and got DE blowback.
    13k Pebbletec Pool/Spa, Hayward Ecostar, SGS Breeze 540 SWG, Pentair C&C 420 cartridge, Pentair MasterTemp Heater, Caretaker system, TF-100 & Taylor K1766 test kits