First backwash of my DE filter and DE came out of the returns

Schadenfreude

Gold Supporter
May 26, 2016
Phoenix AZ
Hi, this is my first pool and I've owned it for about five years, but I just took over maintenance about a month ago. I knew zero about pools but that seemed to be about the same as the guy who was maintaining it before me. I've done quite a bit of reading here and have found the advice helpful.

I know the filters (I have two filters, four pumps and two skimmers on two separate systems for the one pool - why, I don't know) were cleaned about six months ago and some of the grids replaced. We had the pool drained and refilled about a month ago and, while it was cloudy for a day after the refill, it has been crystal clear ever since.

I backwashed this morning (just a push-pull valve) and put DE in the skimmers, about 5 lbs in each. One was fine, but the other spewed some DE out of the returns for about a minute, which has turned the pool cloudy. This leads to three questions:

1. How can I clear my pool?
2. How do I know if that filter has enough DE on it?
3. Does my filter or my plumbing need a major repair?

You will have to tear down the filter. Clean the filters and check for any holes in the fabric and also any cracks/broken areas where the filter meets the manifold and check for cracks in the manifold and there is usually a washer the fits the manifold to the pipe. I once had only two very small tears and got DE blowback.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.