Which steps for an above ground pool?

May 17, 2009
Hi all- I am new to the forum and was hoping for some help on deciding on a new set of steps for my above ground pool. Last year I just used a standard ladder, but this year we have added a deck and I am looking at adding some new steps. We were considering the wedding cake steps, but I was told we couldn't use them because of our cove bottom.

Do you have any recommendations?

I was looking at these- http://www.pcpools.com/products/majesti ... 100&id=124

Thanks for the help!

I have a cove bottom and love my wedding cake steps! Why would the cove be a problem? Did they say? I know my cake steps are kinda angled on the back side to compliment the cove. I haven't had any issues except for the first year, I put them in and tore a hole in the liner on the wall. :shock:

Thanks Casey for the reply.

We were told that they wouldn't work because they don't have space in the back to sit flush on the pool wall since the cove angles down. It's good to hear that you haven't had a problem.

Anyone else have any experiences to share?

I have Biltmore(sp?) drop in steps and love them. They have really nice flow through so I have never once had algae build up under or behind them. We poured concrete into some pvc tubes, glued caps on with hooks to tie onto, place them in the "shelf" under the steps and they stay put nicely all summer. We did buy a "plumbers mat" to put under the steps to reduce any wear on the liner bottom but the step bottoms are nicely curved and weight distribution is nice too so I don't think they would wear too much without it. They have a curved back to account for a cove (ours is very steep) so it fits into the pool nice too. Ours is deck mount but you can get the adapter for over the side too.

NWMNMom,

What is a plumbers mat? I've been searching for some type of mat to put under our cake steps as well. Right now all I have is a 6 foot length of pipe insulation that I put in after the fact. So I had to go under water and place the pipe insulation around the edge of the cake steps and make sure it is properly placed.

Hi Kreed, All vinyl lined above ground pools have a cove and all steps built for above ground pools allow for this. I think you may have just got some bad info. The wedding cake steps are very nice and the Biltmores are also.

Dennis

A plumbers mat is called different things at different places but its the vinyl liner material they put under shower stalls when installing. Heavy duty and usually come in 4' x 3' or on a roll that you can request custom cut to your own length. It's gray or putty colored - costs a lot less than the mat you buy just for ladder or steps - same gauge vinyle so it was just a cost thing for me - plus I didn't have to pay shipping and handling, just went to the local Lowes or Home Depot.

We have three sets of cake steps and three step pads to go under them. We ended up with 2 sets of wedding cake steps and one set of another type that we exchanged our ladder for when we bought the pool. I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old and they both love swimming from one step to the other and having the steps to play on since the whole pool is over their heads.

The step pads were about 3' * 5' and cost about $45 online. They fit nicely under the steps. We did go back and trim them with scissors after they were placed under the steps so there was no extra pad hanging out for the automitic cleaner to get hung up on. It is nice having them because I don't worry about the liner being rubbed by the steps.

When you are looking for the steps, make sure you notice the difference between the sizes of the steps. The two wedding cake steps we have are much nicer (to me). They are white, wider, and smoother. The other step (I don't know the name of it, sorry) is blue, has skinnier steps, and has a rough texture as well as raised ridges (I guess for traction?). Stepping on those steps hurts my feet so I am glad that is just an extra set and not the ones I use to enter the pool. I also think that if I sit on them that they might snag my bathing suit. I have no comcerns about the white wedding cake steps though.

Good luck in your hunt!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.