Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: We're Back!

1. Back To Top    #1

We're Back!

Pool is freshly (delayed) opened and first readings are in !

TA= 50
    CYA= 60
    CH= 125
    ph= 6.8
    FC= ~0

First year we're opening the pool. Poolman said all looks good... but now it's on me to get it to TFP standards.

IIRC, these were my targets last year:
    ph= 7.5
    TA= 50
    FC= 8
    CYA= 75

Currently looking into SLAMming it down and then getting in there and cleaning out the debris.
    Overall, its bit green with a little algae on the bottom, but looking alot better than anticipated. Pool guy agreed it was in good shape, which is nice to hear.

Thoughts?
    16' x 32' Inground Vinyl Pool (17,000 Gallon)
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter + 1.5hp Super Pump, Hayward H300 300,000 BTU Heater
    (2) Jandy 3-Way Valves, (1) Variflo XL Multiport
    (2) Returns, (1) Main Drain, (1) Skimmer, (2) StairJets w/ 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: We're Back!

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things....except why such high cya?

I don't see a SWG in your siggy line so your CYA should just be about half that. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Welcome back

Yip
    Maddie :) 12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things....except why such high cya?

I don't see a SWG in your siggy line so your CYA should just be about half that. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Welcome back

Yip

Yea... my memory is a bit fuzzy on the CYA... I remeber always wanting ot get it lower, but it was in a good enough spot. I believe you're right. Thanks!
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter + 1.5hp Super Pump, Hayward H300 300,000 BTU Heater
    (2) Returns, (1) Main Drain, (1) Skimmer, (2) StairJets w/ 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing

4. Back To Top    #4

Got two boxes of Borax in tonight... going to let that cook and then hit it with the 12.5% doses in the AM for full on SLAM to get back to where we need to be.

5. Back To Top    #5

SO --
    Added 3.3 bottles of 12.5% shock in around 7a.
    7p comes, and Im sitting at TC of 3 (FC=2.5, CC=<.5).
    Seem right? Water DEFINITELY cleared up... just not sure if I need to maintain the FC target of the initial SLAM anymore, or target 8 or so and carry on?

Should I be pitching in a bit more shock/bleach to bring levels up and pass a OCLT?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hopefully I answered my own question right -- added the leftover 3qt of Shock and will do another TC test before bed and one at first light for a OCLT.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like my FC went UP by one overnight? Perhaps my testing was off by a few ml, but I'd say it's clean and looking good! Time to get that vac out!

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice to see you have it covered! How does your water look? Can you see the screws heads on your main drain covers?

Kim:cat;
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Good question! I didn't think to note visual of the screw heads (good check!), but it looks crystal clear, if you look past the little areas of matter leaves and debris I need to clean out. I can see the seams on the bottom of the liner in the deep end, so I'd say thats pretty clear!

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool has a bunch of hefty leaf+other debris that needs to be cleaned out. Should I just hook up the vacuum and run this to waste in the yard? My filter doesn't seem to have alot of suction to make this efficient... perhaps I need to adjust the valves a bit...