Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: We're Back!

1. Back To Top    #1

We're Back!

Pool is freshly (delayed) opened and first readings are in !

TA= 50
    CYA= 60
    CH= 125
    ph= 6.8
    FC= ~0

First year we're opening the pool. Poolman said all looks good... but now it's on me to get it to TFP standards.

IIRC, these were my targets last year:
    ph= 7.5
    TA= 50
    FC= 8
    CYA= 75

Currently looking into SLAMming it down and then getting in there and cleaning out the debris.
    Overall, its bit green with a little algae on the bottom, but looking alot better than anticipated. Pool guy agreed it was in good shape, which is nice to hear.

Thoughts?
    16' x 32' Inground Vinyl Pool (17,000 Gallon)
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter + 1.5hp Super Pump, Hayward H300 300,000 BTU Heater
    (2) Jandy 3-Way Valves, (1) Variflo XL Multiport
    (2) Returns, (1) Main Drain, (1) Skimmer, (2) StairJets w/ 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: We're Back!

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things....except why such high cya?

I don't see a SWG in your siggy line so your CYA should just be about half that. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Welcome back

Yip
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things....except why such high cya?

I don't see a SWG in your siggy line so your CYA should just be about half that. Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Welcome back

Yip

Yea... my memory is a bit fuzzy on the CYA... I remeber always wanting ot get it lower, but it was in a good enough spot. I believe you're right. Thanks!
    Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter + 1.5hp Super Pump, Hayward H300 300,000 BTU Heater
    (2) Returns, (1) Main Drain, (1) Skimmer, (2) StairJets w/ 1.5" Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing

4. Back To Top    #4

Got two boxes of Borax in tonight... going to let that cook and then hit it with the 12.5% doses in the AM for full on SLAM to get back to where we need to be.

5. Back To Top    #5

SO --
    Added 3.3 bottles of 12.5% shock in around 7a.
    7p comes, and Im sitting at TC of 3 (FC=2.5, CC=<.5).
    Seem right? Water DEFINITELY cleared up... just not sure if I need to maintain the FC target of the initial SLAM anymore, or target 8 or so and carry on?

Should I be pitching in a bit more shock/bleach to bring levels up and pass a OCLT?

6. Back To Top    #6

Hopefully I answered my own question right -- added the leftover 3qt of Shock and will do another TC test before bed and one at first light for a OCLT.

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like my FC went UP by one overnight? Perhaps my testing was off by a few ml, but I'd say it's clean and looking good! Time to get that vac out!

8. Back To Top    #8

Nice to see you have it covered! How does your water look? Can you see the screws heads on your main drain covers?

Kim:cat;
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Good question! I didn't think to note visual of the screw heads (good check!), but it looks crystal clear, if you look past the little areas of matter leaves and debris I need to clean out. I can see the seams on the bottom of the liner in the deep end, so I'd say thats pretty clear!

10. Back To Top    #10

My pool has a bunch of hefty leaf+other debris that needs to be cleaned out. Should I just hook up the vacuum and run this to waste in the yard? My filter doesn't seem to have alot of suction to make this efficient... perhaps I need to adjust the valves a bit...