Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just my luck during the partial drain

1. Back To Top    #1

Just my luck during the partial drain

I drained up to 6" yesterday, so when I got home, I started draining again. Now granted, the whole time driving home from work, I was trying to beat the storms that were rolling through the dallas area. No sooner then I started draining, the flood gates opened, and now my pool is back up 3" in just 45 minutes. The rain was so hard, the water from the porch almost came into the house. They are calling for heavy rain through Saturday, so this drain is going to take a very longggg time...Don't worry, its still draining..
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just my luck during the partial drain

Yeah, you're in deep yogurt! We just got eleventytwentyseven inches of rain! No end in sight!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

3. Back To Top    #3

Well it rained again last night...Hoping rain holds off some this afternoon to start draining again...
    24x16 doughboy Summerville..22" Waterway "sand" 1.5 HP 2sp motor..Misty Falls liner, and wedding cake stairs..

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

Well, at least you're getting some free water exchange there!

Hang in there, and don't forget to retest CYA/CH once the rains are all done to re-establish your drain percentage.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

5. Back To Top    #5

That was what I was going to say, you are getting free water exchange! Just keep it going!

I had my pool in perfect balance and now it's overflowing and ruining the balance.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

if only I had been another foot drained, then I would be in the refilling process..lol

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah, glad I messed up my CYA test and accidentally raised my CYA to 100. Oh, wait, that didn't happen! Shhhh
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

well im down 13" from 47" on the partial drain...I have to keep stopping it, for no one at home to watch it, for im still terrified of ripping the liner, even though ppl say it will be ok...Heavy rain moving back in this afternoon..urggg...with the pump off for 3 days, im surprised the algae is very very minimum..

9. Back To Top    #9

Keep adding chlorine to maintain FC level and brush to stir it up.
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

If all goes to plan, I should be able to start filling back up tomorrow...Been a very slow process due to all the heavy rain..Kinda curious of the amount ive drained, then rain filled, then kept draining etc etc.....if im actually at a point to start filling back now...Just wanting to make sure, so I don't have to re-drain..

11. Back To Top    #11

Are you draining to lower CYA? Test it now to see where it is and what % full the pool is. I'll make my kids do some algebra to figure out where you'll end up.
    TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes to lower my cya...Been draining for days, but stop when I go to bed, and while im at work..But these downpours in mesquite keeping adding a few inches after ive drained a few inches..lol...I have a ABG Vinyl pool, so I have to make sure I don't go past the 1/2 way mark...Don't want more issues than I already have...Ill test when I get home...

13. Back To Top    #13

Definitely leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end to avoid issues with the vinyl liner shifting or shrinking.

Yes, the rain is outta control! But, I think the end is near!
    TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

Well I have no shallow end..Its 4ft deep entire oval shape...I know ive drained over a foot, but then rain rises it back up, then I drain another 6", then rain fills back up...I know right now im at 3ft deep as of this morning...technically need another foot to drain, but a lot of the water now is rain water too..

15. Back To Top    #15

Have you tested recently?
    That much raining and draining should have significantly diluted your cya levels.
    ft
    ~22,000 gallons, freeform, Pebbletec, beach entry AquaRite SWCG v1.33 Hayward Tristar SP325EE pump for main draw & skimmer Hayward sand filter S310S 1.5 hp booster pump Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaner, skimmer, debris containment canister Waterfall Pentair Intellibrite 5g LED light in Pentair stainless wet niche Jandy Lite2 heater: removed Auto-fill: deactivated

16. Back To Top    #16

Im going to check when I get home..I do have my son still draining as we speak..lol....since no pump is on, so I need to swirl water around before testing?

17. Back To Top    #17

Wouldn't hurt to give it a quick brush to mix it up.
    TFP Moderator