Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Saltwater and my lawn

1. Back To Top    #1
    Peoria, IL

Saltwater and my lawn

I was just wondering if my saltwater pool is doing any long term damage to my lawn or soil. I have an Intex pool that gets drained and stored every year. That's a lot of salt that keeps getting absorbed into the lawn. If I keep doing this year after year, will all that salt eventually cause harm to the soil or grass? Been doing this for 5 years and my lawn still looks as healthy as ever.
    Intex 18ft x 52in Ultra Frame Pool, hard plumbed w/skimmer and fountain
    Intex 4000 gph cartridge filter pump
    Intex SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Saltwater and my lawn

It's not as salty as you think and grasses (especially those used on lawns) are very hardy. As for salt build up in the soil, the answer is - it all depends...

What is your drainage like? How much rain do you get?

You live in IL where the average precipitation (rain and snow-melt) is pretty high. If your lawn has good drainage, then the amount of rainfall you get every year should be more than adequate to wash away any sodium chloride build up.
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Roseville, CA

Unless you have a water shortage and are expected to conserve water, I would not recommend draining it onto the lawn. I use a clean out port in my house below the kitchen sink and pump it into the waste plumbing.
    SWG: CircuPool SI30+Plus; Recommended Levels: Salt 3000-4000, 3500 is ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.5-7.8; TA 100; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter
    TAYLOR K - 2006

4. Back To Top    #4

Dallas, TX

I backflush my saltwater pool onto my St. Augustine lawn in the Texas heat and have not had any problems.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

My saltwater pool overflow goes to my lawn, about half bermuda grass and half weeds and it grows better there than the rest.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach