Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Converting to Salt Water

1. Back To Top    #1

Converting to Salt Water

After talking to many pool owners, we are considering switching to a salt water system.

Right now, I have a sand filter pump.

Is it cheaper in the long run to use a salt water system as opposed to all the chemicals I'd have to use without one? Do you even have to use chemicals with a salt water system?

Do I have to buy a whole new pump or is there a way to convert our current pump to a salt water system??

Any advice, suggestions, opinions??
    Intex 18x9x52 Above Ground Rectangular Vinyl Pool
    4545 Gallons of city water
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Pump and SWS
    Installed on our property 5-29-2016

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Converting to Salt Water

Welcome to TFP

This is all you will need for equipment, maybe a couple hoses also, I am not sure what comes in the SWG..
    Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will need to test for salt in your water now and then using poolmath it will tell you how much more salt to add http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Always have a couple bottles of bleach handy as SWG keep chlorine steady but have a hard time raising chlorine

Going to a SWG I think you should really look at geting a test kit like the TF100, I don't think you want to empty the pool and then add 200 pounds of salt every year, just treat your pool as a permanent and test just like we do

check out the links in my sig below
    Pool: Intex 16x32 15000 gal, 2 speed 340042, Pentair CC320 Filter, CircuPool SJ45 Salt System, Intermatic PE653RC; Hot Tub: 650 Gal SWG Megachlor
    links: pool school * Recommended-Levels * SLAM * CYA chart * Test kits * How To Post Pictures * Poolmath * OCLT ** Support your website if we helped you :) **

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by cowboycasey View Post
    Welcome to TFP

This is all you will need for equipment, maybe a couple hoses also, I am not sure what comes in the SWG..
    Amazon.com : Intex 120V Krystal Clear Saltwater System CG-28669 with E.C.O. (Electrocatalytic Oxidation) for Above Ground Pools : Patio, Lawn Garden

You will need to test for salt in your water now and then using poolmath it will tell you how much more salt to add http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html

Always have a couple bottles of bleach handy as SWG keep chlorine steady but have a hard time raising chlorine

Going to a SWG I think you should really look at geting a test kit like the TF100, I don't think you want to empty the pool and then add 200 pounds of salt every year, just treat your pool as a permanent and test just like we do

check out the links in my sig below
    Good post!!!

The SWG come with one hose..

Starting day 5/25/2015 INTEX AGP 24'x12'x54" 8400 gal, with salt and borax, INTEX 16"sand filter, WM Hayward Skimmer, Intex SWG CG-28669, 1 1/2" hard plumbed PVC, Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test
    8,400 gal Intex, 3K GPH pump, 16" sand filter, SWG CG-28669, TF100 test kit, speed stir, K-1766 Taylor salt test.

The corner stone of TFP
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

4. Back To Top    #4

The only thing the SWG saves you is buying bleach and dumping it in. You still need to test the rest and tweak the pH from time to time (Maybe quite often in the beginning) and ensure the SWG settings are correct. The FC demand can vary depending on sunlight, temperature and how many people are in the pool and for how long so you'll be fussing with that now and then. And there's still brushing and vacuuming. Again, all the SWG does is save you from manually adding chlorine.

There is no completely automated pool system. People are constantly trying with automatic pool sweeps, acid dosing systems, and chlorine systems, but they are far from perfected and still require someone to test the water regularly.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

With a 4545 gallon pool, the savings in time and money may be minimal. But then, the SWG for your pool isn't expensive. In this case, I'd put it at an "it's up to you".

Richard is right, it will free you from buying bottles of chlorine, and will reduce the number of times you need to test within a month. At first, you'll have to test FC and pH daily. Once you get your pump and SWG where FC is stable, and where you are comfortable with how pH is affected, and if you have TA in balance, you can most likely go to weekly testing of FC and pH, and monthly testing of the rest. I consider this "Pool Chemistry 201", as it's that level you hit when you know what to expect and know the effects of everything you do or add to your pool. It's pool nirvana, but again as Richard says it does not eliminate the need to test.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!