Rough Plaster in Various Spots in Pool

May 31, 2016
West Grove, PA
Hello all.

We have a 3 y/o gunite pool built by A/S in Southeast PA. Just this spring/early summer, we've noticed that several areas of the pool floor, steps and the swim out bench now have plaster surfaces that are rough, like sandpaper, and not at all smooth. I've tested the water semi-regularly, but will admit that I haven't done it as frequently as I should.

What is causing this plaster roughness and what can we do to remedy it?

Thanks,

Steve

our local pool service store did the analysis on a sophisticated device

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, pool store testing has a bad reputation for inaccurate testing, testing under improper lighting, and inexperienced personnel. It only takes one of those factors to skew your results. You would be better served to test your own water with a recommended test kit like a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006. With results from either of those kits, we are better assured of YOUR accurate readings. We have more faith in your testing ability than a pool store. :) Your description still sounds a bit like scale/calcium build-up, although those pool store numbers don't really add-up.

Depends on the level of scale and age of the pool. Really bad pools might need an acid wash and scrub-down. Yours doesn't sound to be that bad. We have seen success with members who maintain their CSI level (on the Poolmath calculator) slightly negative to help encourage built-up scale to release from the pool surfaces. It's not a quick fix, but it has shown positive gains when used consistently and brushed frequently.

Thanks Pat and Pooldv. Will get kit and retest tomorrow, and then take action based on results of Poolmath calculator. Have to go to Lowes anyway, so will also look for wet/dry sandpaper. Buildup isn't too bad, we've just noticed a few rough patches, so want to move to deal with it ASAP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.