Does the bucket test really work?

May 19, 2016
St Catharines, Ontario, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
It seems that my water level is going down quicker than I am expecting and I have had to add water earlier this week to keep the water level up to past the point of the skimmer when it starts to suck air. I just got a new liner so do not expect there to be a leak in the tub, and my pump shows no signs of air getting into the basket area when the pump is off. My first suspicion is water evaporation. It has been a particularly hot week, and windy, and I know that they are two factors that effect water evaporation. So I decided to try the Bucket Test. Fill a bucket of water and keep it on the stairs of the pool and compare evap. rates. My question is, does the bucket test actually work? My research on water evaporation indicates that surface area also plays a factor. Can't help but notice the surface area of my bucket, about 1 sq ft, compared to my pool, about 800 sq ft. Will the bucket test work? Can any of you pool scientists out there offer an opinion. Thanks.

I've used it over the years when we had particularly dry and hot days. It did work. It should give you a good enough idea as to if the water is disappearing due to a leak. It may not be totally exact but it should be close enough for you to rule out (hopefully) a leak.

Yes, it is accurate as long as the initial water level in the bucket is submerged to a depth very close to the water level of the surrounding pool and the sides of the bucket are not much higher than the water level (to avoid wind speed differences). It is best to use pool water to fill the bucket so that there is minimal temperature differences.

So..yes the bucket test works. I have learnt that the water loss in my pool is due to evaporation. I also learned that the "solar" cover slows the evaporation by about 50 percent. Was able to learn two things, with one bucket. Lol. Thanks everyone.
yep!!, it's a relief when it proves out. All hail the plastic bucket!! (I don't think anyone uses Mrs. Mopp galvanized do they?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.