in over my head

jlg

Jun 2, 2015
lagrange ohio
Hello
My cover was leaking all winter. When I opened my pool it was like pea soup. It is now blue, and all the debris has been cleaned from the bottom. I have been vacuuming ever day, sometimes twice for a week. I have 2 filter cartridges, so I am constantly cleaning and replacing it. It has been shocked. It is so cloudy! Here are my numbers, and yes, I know they are not great, that is why I am here. i need advice
FC 5.5
CC 0.5
CH 175
TA 150
pH 7.2
CYA 43

• 14,600 gallons
  • AG
  • Cartridge filter

• TF 100 test kit

numbers look like i want mine to be... i think the filters just keep getting clogged up before the pool clears. mine took a month to clear after SLAMING... I thought I had a problem... but the over night FC test was fine.

im sorry, I didnt put my info and test kit numbers in my sig, but they are in my post

- - - Updated - - -

So from what I understand, the SLAM is using clorox to bring my FC to between 16-20 until my CC is 0.5 or below and the water is clear? testing and re adding clorox how often?

So from what I understand, the SLAM is using clorox to bring my FC to between 16-20 until my CC is 0.5 or below and the water is clear? testing and re adding clorox how often?
Yes, you raise the FC to SLAM level (16FC for CYA of 40) until:
1. Water is completely clear down to the bottom.
2. CC = 0
3. You pass the OvernightChlorineLossTest - OCLT (we like acronyms here :D).

You can use any brand of bleach, as long as it is scent free and not the splash-less type. Generic store brand is fine. Walmart and other stores sell 10-12%bleach labeled as Liquid Chlorine, and is sometimes a better value.

Generally the SLAM will go faster the more often you can test & add chlorine. People have gotten away with 1 time per day, 2-3 times is ideal though.

thank you so much, your explanation made it much clearer. I should be removing my chlorine tablets during this process, correct? Can i leave the solar cover on? is pump running at low sufficient, or high better? Thanks so much

Yes, you raise the FC to SLAM level (16 for CYA of 40) until:
1. Water is completely clear down to the bottom.
2. CC = 0
3. You pass the OvernightChlorineLossTest - OCLT (we like acronyms here :D).

You can use any brand of bleach, as long as it is scent free and not the splash-less type. Generic store brand is fine. Walmart and other stores sell 10-12%bleach labeled as Liquid Chlorine, and is sometimes a better value.

Generally the SLAM will go faster the more often you can test & add chlorine. People have gotten away with 1 time per day, 2-3 times is ideal though.

thank you so much, your explanation made it much clearer. I should be removing my chlorine tablets during this process, correct? Can i leave the solar cover on? is pump running at low sufficient, or high better? Thanks so much
Yes, ditch the pucks. We don't recommend long term use of Trichlor Pucks as they add as much CYA as they do Chlorine. High CYA will inevitably lead to algae problems down the road.

This page provides a great explanation: Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.