Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How much does flow rate affect SWG production?

1. Back To Top    #1

How much does flow rate affect SWG production?

With temps finally getting warm, I was able to add salt and turn on the SWG this past week.

My current pump schedule:
    1AM -3AM: 3450 RPM
    9AM - 11AM: 1500 RPM
    1PM - 5PM: 2350 RPM

I have the cell running at 100% but my FC has been in the 1.5-2.5 range when I've tested the past couple days. I've supplemented with liquid chlorine/and some older "pre-tfp" dichlor to bring my CYA up. CYA is about 50 right now.

Should I add time or speed? I feel like it should be producing more FC for 8 hours of run time. The cell looks fine, and it was new last year.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    TF-100 - Taylor K2006 - SpeedStir Upgrade - Taylor K-1766 Salt Test
    My Pool:
    28k IG built May 2015 - Autopilot SWG - Pentair VS Pump/DE Filter/Heat Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How much does flow rate affect SWG production?

When in doubt if the SWG is producing like it should, you should run an OCLT to rule out organics consuming the chlorine.

If the water passes the OCLT, then you know that you need to increase the run time and/or % output.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Will do tonight. I do see a CC of 1 when my FC drops below the minimum, but it always goes away when I bring it back up. That's not a regular thing, just these past few days trying to get the SWG tuned in.
    Helpful Links: Pool Chemistry 101 - Recommended Levels - Recommended Chemicals - FC/CYA Chart - SLAM Instructions - Pool Math
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

4. Back To Top    #4

Add some bleach to get it back to target while you are dialing it in.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Passed OCLT. Back to my original question, would changing speed or time be better? I feel like 8hrs run time is a lot.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

6. Back To Top    #6

If you are happy with the filtration, then bump up the output % on the SWG.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    If you are happy with the filtration, then bump up the output % on the SWG.
    Like I mentioned in my OP, It's already at 100% and not producing enough FC.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

8. Back To Top    #8

The speed does not impact the SWG output. Either there is enough flow and the SWG works, or the SWG does not work.

Verify it is generating at the 1500rpm. If it is, then the only option is increased run time. If it is not, dial up that speed until it does generate.

Raising the CYA to the recommended level will also help.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Changing speed will do nothing. If you are not already running 24/7, then adding time will increase chlorine output, as long as the SWG is set to run anytime the pump is running.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes I'm going to finish raising CYA, I just wanted to get rid of the dichlor I had first.

I'm going to bump it up to 12 hours or so at slower speeds, I don't think running at 3400 RPM is advantageous.

Thanks.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

11. Back To Top    #11

Running at 3400 is only advantageous to the stockholders in the power plant.

You will be surprised how much going from a CYA of 50 to around 70-80 will be. I was at 50 at the start of the year and at just over 70 now, and it made a big difference.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

12. Back To Top    #12

Something still isn't right here. I increased my pump time to 12 hours and everything seemed fine. My FC was around 10 at the end of last week, so I bumped down the percentage 10% or so.

Then I got back after being away this weekend, and FC is .5, CC was 3!

Sigh...bringing things up to SLAM level now with liquid. I'm not sure why I can't get this dialed in. It was super simple last year.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

13. Back To Top    #13

That is not normal for the FC to suddenly drop and the CC to rise like that.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

As water temps ramp up chlorine usage also ramps up. It is always tricky to gauge how much and how fast. I usually try to aim 1 or 2 above target for some extra cushion. SLAM is the right answer!
    TFP Moderator
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is not normal for the FC to suddenly drop and the CC to rise like that.
    I'm confused too. CC went away as soon as I raised FC levels. Water looks perfect as always.
    Test Kits:
    My Pool:

16. Back To Top    #16

Missed the high CCs. Maybe some geese dropped off a surprise on the way by or something.
    TFP Moderator