Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWG and VS Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG and VS Pump

I'm thinking about replacing my 1.5 hp Pentair Superflo single speed with a VS Pump. Either the Intelliflo or Superflow VS. My question is, what's the best way to do this so the SWG only comes on when the pump does? I've researched this but not sure what the best, easiest way would be. I have attached a pic of my setup. Its pretty straight forward. Thanks

18x36 Rectangle, 8ft deep end, 26k gallons, vinyl liner, Intellichlor IC40 Chlorinator, 1.5 HP Superflo Pump, Hayward Tigershark QC Robotic Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG and VS Pump

The swg won't run without water flowing to it. Image1464722851.179046.jpg

20x40 kidney IG vinyl liner built 2012
    27k gallon, Pentair IC60 SWG,
    pentair vs 3hp pump, triton sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

My swg isnt hooked up in the pic but has 2 caps where it is. I have an intelliflow vs and pentair swg

4. Back To Top    #4

You will most likely come out ahead moneywise with a two speed pump. Do you have a specific reason for wanting or needing a VS?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    You will most likely come out ahead moneywise with a two speed pump. Do you have a specific reason for wanting or needing a VS?
    No specific reason. I have seen the vs for 6-650. Figure a season, season and a half it would pay for itself.

18x36 Rectangle, 8ft deep end, 26k gallons, vinyl liner, Intellichlor IC40 Chlorinator, 1.5 HP Superflo Pump, Hayward Tigershark QC Robotic Cleaner

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jbesaltwaterpool View Post
    No specific reason. I have seen the vs for 6-650. Figure a season, season and a half it would pay for itself.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    I'll research the 2 speed ones

7. Back To Top    #7

Variable speed is great. I really like it. It's so efficient and super quiet. Can barely tell when it's on. It also can provide as much or as little power as you are going to need. For the cost difference I would say it's definitely a better value

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Mcecere11 View Post
    Variable speed is great. I really like it. It's so efficient and super quiet. Can barely tell when it's on. It also can provide as much or as little power as you are going to need. For the cost difference I would say it's definitely a better value

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. I understand how the flow switch works, I just wasn't sure if there would be any damage to the unit if it's got power 24/7 but only getting flow for a set period of time each day. Thanks again.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Mcecere11 View Post
    Depends on the cost of electricity. Here in Texas you'll never recoup the price difference.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

To answer your original question, you should NOT depend on the flow switch as a primary control of the SWG. It was designed as a secondary safety switch. If you currently have a timer controlling your pump, you simply move the new pump to the unswithched (hot) side of the timer, and leave the SWG feed on the switched side. Then the pump has power 24/7 and you use the pump's onboard timer to program timing and speed of the pump. Set the timer to turn the SWG on during a time that you know the pump will be running. Should the two ever get out of sync, that's what the flow switch is there for, secondary safety. That's how mine has been working for years.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
    To answer your original question, you should NOT depend on the flow switch as a primary control of the SWG. It was designed as a secondary safety switch. If you currently have a timer controlling your pump, you simply move the new pump to the unswithched (hot) side of the timer, and leave the SWG feed on the switched side. Then the pump has power 24/7 and you use the pump's onboard timer to program timing and speed of the pump. Set the timer to turn the SWG on during a time that you know the pump will be running. Should the two ever get out of sync, that's what the flow switch is there for, secondary safety. That's how mine has been working for years.
    Or if you don't have the ability to have the pump turn on the SWG, wire them both to the same timed output on the timer. That's how mine is.

12. Back To Top    #12

I just switched out my old 1hp pump to the new Pentair VS2 pump and love it. I bought it with the installation of Heliocol pool solar panels. I live in northern CA and have already noticed a savings in my energy bill. I am running my pump longer at a significant lower wattage compared to the old pump. I like that it is easily programmable for your pool needs and is super quiet. You are not stuck with 1 or 2 speeds.
    My pool: 18x32 White Plaster 13,000 Gal w/ Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, 3/4hp Pentair Booster Pump for Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner, Sta-Rite 300 Mod Media S7M120 Filter, Heliocol Solar Panels, Pentair Solar Touch Controller, Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

If he gets a VS pump they have a built in timer and require non switched power supply.
    Chuck-
    15x30 Above ground, Pentair Superflo VS, 19" sand filter, TF-100 test kit
    Aqua Comfort ACT750 heat pump / 6x20 ground mount solar panel / DIY automation

Photos of 2016 Build, Inside Your Breaker Panel, Free Copy of 2017 NEC code
    TFP is funded by member support click here to help

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    If he gets a VS pump they have a built in timer and require non switched power supply.
    And that's what I was describing. The pump connected to the hot side of the timer, and SWG on the switched side.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

I never read or heard that the flow switch is a secondary safety. Pentair vs has a built in timer. Wouldn't make sense to set the pump and swg to be on another timer. It is designed to operate with the pentair intelliflow and use the flow switch by itself or at least that's what pentair has told me and the directions also read that way. Other systems may operate differently but the intellichlor and intelliflow are designed to work In sync with the built in timer.

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

If the pump can control power to the SWG, fine. But I didn't think it did that. If a SWG remains powered without any flow, it can explode. There are poeple here that have seen examples of that happening. If the flow switch is used as the only control vs as secondary safety, a flow switch failure can lead to an explosive event. It can and does happen, but it's your pool and your choice. I find it hard to believe that Pentair advises you to wire it with the SWG powered at all times.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

17. Back To Top    #17

Did some looking and this is what the Intellichlor installation and user guide says on page iii....Warning: CHLORINE GAS BUILD UP CAN OCCUR WITH IMPROPER WIRING: to reduce the risk of personal injury the iecg power center must be installed on and wired to the load side of the time clock, electronically control switch, or relay load side, so that it will receive power only when the pool pump is on. Otherwise, dangerous chlorine gas build up can occur. The IECG should never be energized when the pool pump is off and water is not flowing through the unit.

I also googled intellichlor swg explosions. Think I'll go the timer route.

When it comes time to pull the trigger, vs pump and put the SWG on seperate timer to run when pump is on only. It cost me about 2.20-2.43 a day depending on how long I run the single speed. From what I understand, it will cost me about .23-.25 a day for the vs pump. I figure it will be well worth it especially buying off the internet and doing myself....thanks for all the help guys.

18. Back To Top    #18

There have been quite a few exploding SWG posts over the years. Here is the most recent one, New Member Swade

My VS pump is wired directly to the breaker and my SWG is wired to its own timer. I run my SWG inside the run time window of my pump.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

19. Back To Top    #19

Apologies. Thanks for enlightening me. I guess I will need to make sure mine is setup correct. Learn something new everyday, thanks for your insight

20. Back To Top    #20

That is why we are here.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast