Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing Samples Indoors

1. Back To Top    #1
    Metro St. louis Mo.

Testing Samples Indoors

Are there any down sides to collecting a plastic cup of pool water and running the test indoors in the kitchen?
    Would the indoor lighting, if testing at night, affect the readings? Any other problems?

22,000 IG vinyl; Swim Out; Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Testing Samples Indoors

I frequently test indoors. I try to use as much light as possible. My fridge is white so that helps for background use.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3

Cupertino, CA

For color-matching tests like pH and the OTO (yellow) chlorine test, indirect natural light against a white background is best; easy enough to achieve that indoors. If it's not practical to test during the day, indoor lighting probably won't lead you too far astray, although I have no technical or personal experience to back up that thought.

For titration tests like FAS-DPD or TA or CH, you just need enough light to be sure of the color changes, the exact colors are not important.
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

4. Back To Top    #4

I would suggest reading the CYA test outdoors in open shade and the LaMotte borate strips really need to be read in sunlight. I have yet to find an artificail light that will give an accurate reading with this particular strips.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Covington, Georgia

I test in doors like FPM. We have a micro wave above the stove with a light that I use so I can see the test results. On PH tests my wife calls the shots on that reading because my eyes aren't all that great and she is better at color than I am!
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!