Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Flow Switch

1. Back To Top    #1

Flow Switch

I purchased an Atlantic Saltwater Chlorinator and it did not come with a flow switch. Is a flow switch required for all salt water chlorinators ?
    Above ground 15' x 30' Oval 42" 10,000 gal / Baquacil
    2 Spd 2 HP Pro line 150 Sq ft. Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Flow Switch

It is an important safety feature and I'm not sure why they would sell you a unit without one?

The flow switch ensures that the chlorinator can not run when the flow rate goes below a certain rate (usually around 15-20 gpm). It not only protects the chlorinator from getting burned out by too little water flow but it also ensures that dangerous levels of chlorine and hydrogen gas don't build up in a confined space (it's an explosive hazard).

I'd call the manufacturer and ask why your unit does not have a flow switch and what they recommend.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

thank you.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are some SWG for AG pools that do not have a flow switch. Like the Hayward RJ where the cell is right at the return jet, so if it did run without the pump it would vent right it into the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

I just talked to the manufactor and this unit has an electronic Flow Switch located in the unit itself. Good news i was getting worried... Thanks for your input...