Safe to swim in high chlorine?

ddas

May 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I'm in the midst of SLAMming my pool to get rid of a bit of algae. My CYA is about 60 (as best I can tell, since CYA test is not accurate during SLAMming) and my FC is about 30. Then I realized (oops) that I have a kids pool party in five days!

The crux of my question is: is it OK for the kids to swim?

The secondary question is: should I look at (or are there any ways to) bring the chlorine level down for the party? Even if I get it down to 10 or so, I'll feel better that the kids aren't going to walk away with stinging eyes nor that they might accidentally drink a bit too much chlorine and get sick.

Can you see the bottom?

Yes, the water is crystal clear. I'm brushing it a couple of times a day. The algae seems to be gone.

(However, as I detailed in another thread in the Algae sub-forum, I went through this a month ago, thought it was gone/clear, and it came back. My primary suspicion is the solar cover, which I really (REALLY) want to put back on so that the water is warm enough for the kids to swim comfortably!)

I'm in the midst of SLAMming my pool to get rid of a bit of algae. My CYA is about 60 (as best I can tell, since CYA test is not accurate during SLAMming) and my FC is about 30. Then I realized (oops) that I have a kids pool party in five days!

The crux of my question is: is it OK for the kids to swim?

The secondary question is: should I look at (or are there any ways to) bring the chlorine level down for the party? Even if I get it down to 10 or so, I'll feel better that the kids aren't going to walk away with stinging eyes nor that they might accidentally drink a bit too much chlorine and get sick.

The CYa test is supposed to be accurate (within about 10 or so) no matter the conditions, generally. It is the PH that runs askew at high FC. (Over 10) so if you performed it back to the sun, etc. it should be pretty accurate.

Do you have any CC's?

I'd let the FC drop naturally, you don't want unnecessary chemicals. What I do is leave it off half the day and put it on at night, as it holds the heat in overnight when temps drop. During the day, I've noticed I actually get a bigger jump in water temp on a sunny day without the cover. (Might sound crazy, I know, but that's been my experience!)

The CYa test is supposed to be accurate (within about 10 or so) no matter the conditions, generally. It is the PH that runs askew at high FC. (Over 10) so if you performed it back to the sun, etc. it should be pretty accurate.
Do you have any CC's?
I'd let the FC drop naturally, you don't want unnecessary chemicals. What I do is leave it off half the day and put it on at night, as it holds the heat in overnight when temps drop. During the day, I've noticed I actually get a bigger jump in water temp on a sunny day without the cover. (Might sound crazy, I know, but that's been my experience!)

Just measured:

FC=26 (dropped a bit during the daylight sun, whew!)
CC=less than 0.5
CYA=80

I also started gently bleaching the solar cover. It takes a while to spread it out and spread the bleach/water around it. I'm planning to cover the pool during the nights (to preserve heat) and remove the cover during the day (to burn off some of the chlorine).

So you all think I should be fine for the kids pool party in a few days, and that I shouldn't neutralize the chlorine.

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier: THANK YOU to all who help in this excellent forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.