Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Safe to swim in high chlorine?

1. Back To Top    #1

Safe to swim in high chlorine?

I'm in the midst of SLAMming my pool to get rid of a bit of algae. My CYA is about 60 (as best I can tell, since CYA test is not accurate during SLAMming) and my FC is about 30. Then I realized (oops) that I have a kids pool party in five days!

The crux of my question is: is it OK for the kids to swim?

The secondary question is: should I look at (or are there any ways to) bring the chlorine level down for the party? Even if I get it down to 10 or so, I'll feel better that the kids aren't going to walk away with stinging eyes nor that they might accidentally drink a bit too much chlorine and get sick.
    Los Angeles (San Fernando Valley)
    15k gallon in-ground (IG) pool (I believe it's plaster)
    DE filter (Heyward), using cellulose instead of DE
    Jandy APURE1400 3-port salt cell

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Safe to swim in high chlorine?

It is safe to swim up to SLAM level, so it should fall to 24 in a few days easy.

Can you see the bottom?
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bruce View Post
    Can you see the bottom?
    Yes, the water is crystal clear. I'm brushing it a couple of times a day. The algae seems to be gone.

(However, as I detailed in another thread in the Algae sub-forum, I went through this a month ago, thought it was gone/clear, and it came back. My primary suspicion is the solar cover, which I really (REALLY) want to put back on so that the water is warm enough for the kids to swim comfortably!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Get some bleach and a broom or mop and scrub down the cover.
    11K gal IG screened-in plaster pool w/ spa
    pentair 150 cartridge filter, Pentair Intelliflow VS pump,
    Aquarite AQR15 SWG, AquaCal Heatwave Heat Pump, TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by robdac View Post
    Get some bleach and a broom or mop and scrub down the cover.
    Will do, thanks Robdac!

If I clean the solar cover and put it on the pool (which is great for heating it), now FC will fall MUCH more slowly. Are there products I could use to bring the chlorine down a little more just for this pool party?

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by ddas View Post
    I'm in the midst of SLAMming my pool to get rid of a bit of algae. My CYA is about 60 (as best I can tell, since CYA test is not accurate during SLAMming) and my FC is about 30. Then I realized (oops) that I have a kids pool party in five days!

The crux of my question is: is it OK for the kids to swim?

The secondary question is: should I look at (or are there any ways to) bring the chlorine level down for the party? Even if I get it down to 10 or so, I'll feel better that the kids aren't going to walk away with stinging eyes nor that they might accidentally drink a bit too much chlorine and get sick.
    The CYa test is supposed to be accurate (within about 10 or so) no matter the conditions, generally. It is the PH that runs askew at high FC. (Over 10) so if you performed it back to the sun, etc. it should be pretty accurate.

Do you have any CC's?

I'd let the FC drop naturally, you don't want unnecessary chemicals. What I do is leave it off half the day and put it on at night, as it holds the heat in overnight when temps drop. During the day, I've noticed I actually get a bigger jump in water temp on a sunny day without the cover. (Might sound crazy, I know, but that's been my experience!)
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Correct, the CYA test is fine anytime. It is PH that is not accurate when FC is over 10 ppm.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by PAGirl View Post
    The CYa test is supposed to be accurate (within about 10 or so) no matter the conditions, generally. It is the PH that runs askew at high FC. (Over 10) so if you performed it back to the sun, etc. it should be pretty accurate.
    Do you have any CC's?
    I'd let the FC drop naturally, you don't want unnecessary chemicals. What I do is leave it off half the day and put it on at night, as it holds the heat in overnight when temps drop. During the day, I've noticed I actually get a bigger jump in water temp on a sunny day without the cover. (Might sound crazy, I know, but that's been my experience!)
    Just measured:

FC=26 (dropped a bit during the daylight sun, whew!)
    CC=less than 0.5
    CYA=80

I also started gently bleaching the solar cover. It takes a while to spread it out and spread the bleach/water around it. I'm planning to cover the pool during the nights (to preserve heat) and remove the cover during the day (to burn off some of the chlorine).

So you all think I should be fine for the kids pool party in a few days, and that I shouldn't neutralize the chlorine.

Sorry I didn't mention it earlier: THANK YOU to all who help in this excellent forum.

9. Back To Top    #9

TFP Guide

With a CYA of 80, anything under 31 (SLAM value) is safe. Don't fret, as long as the weather cooperates, your pool will be ready! Seeing you are near L.A. You should be good to go!
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!