Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Just getting started

1. Back To Top    #1

Just getting started

Brand new to taking care of a Pool. We have a 17' X 5" above ground pool. Just bough the house and we started opening the pool. First thing was the cover had holes in it everywhere. We were told that the water is clear however when we took it off the color was a deep green. We began by putting in liquid chlorine and also getting the Water tested. I was told the water is excellent (by leslies), yet we have algae. This has been going on for five days. I am continually pumping more chlorine in. I've also added algae control and phos-free. Yesterday we added 3lb of shock and 6 oz. of the Algae control. I also backwashed just to make sure filter was clean. Today nothing changed. I added another 2 lbs. of shock and algae control. I'm not feeling very confident. I'm new to all the testing and not sure what to get, especially with all the different chemicals. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Just getting started

Check out this page Pool School - Getting Started and let us know if you have any questions about it. (I will give you a hint, it starts with not trusting pool store testing )

edit: This one too Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Just getting started

Welcome to TFP! TFP can help!

Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!