Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Changing sand in filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Question Changing sand in filter

I'm wondering if I messed up here and need to start over. I'm at the stage where I'm filling it back up with the new sand. So I put the lateral assembly in the tank but it wouldn't really balance so I figured when I started putting sand in that would prop it up. Now it's full with 200lbs of sand, and the assembly is centered, but I think it isn't totally resting on the bottom. There might be a inch or so of sand under there. It was tough balancing it and getting the sand in there. Does that matter? Does the assembly have to rest on the bottom of the tank?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Changing sand in filter

It depends on the filter brand and model but most sand filters have a base that the lateral assembly rests on or the lateral assembly is designed to rest on the base. To make adding sand easier, it's recommending having the filter body about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water when you start adding sand. This cushions the weight of the falling sand, making it easier to keep the lateral assy in place properly. If you have a shop vac, I'd suck the sand out before filling with water and start again with water in the filter first. Be sure to also cover the standpipe with a plastic bag and rubber band to prevent sand from going in the stand pipe when filling.

If you could update your signature with details about your pool, including your type of filter, that would help.

Welcome to TFP!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

More here on adding a signature and a state to your location, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome, but let me ask, why were you changing the sand?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JVTrain View Post
    It depends on the filter brand and model but most sand filters have a base that the lateral assembly rests on or the lateral assembly is designed to rest on the base. To make adding sand easier, it's recommending having the filter body about 1/3 to 1/2 full of water when you start adding sand. This cushions the weight of the falling sand, making it easier to keep the lateral assy in place properly. If you have a shop vac, I'd suck the sand out before filling with water and start again with water in the filter first. Be sure to also cover the standpipe with a plastic bag and rubber band to prevent sand from going in the stand pipe when filling.

If you could update your signature with details about your pool, including your type of filter, that would help.

Welcome to TFP!
    Here's my filter: http://i.imgur.com/MB0iA4T.jpg

I filled it half way first. I followed this guide: How To Change Sand In a Sand Filter - INYOPools.com

Good idea. I'll update my signature tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Welcome to TFP!

More here on adding a signature and a state to your location, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
    Welcome, but let me ask, why were you changing the sand?
    I read several places I should do it every 4-6 years and have no idea when the previous owner did it last. Only $40 worth of sand so I figured I'd do it.

6. Back To Top    #6

AH, that is all marketing by people that make money off of selling you sand. In general unless you have managed to turn your sand into a goopy mess with a Baqua conversion, or concrete by adding various pool store magic potions then you should never need to change your sand. You may however need to deep clean it from time to time. Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~