Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG reading Low Salt when I know that not to be the case

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG reading Low Salt when I know that not to be the case

It's a Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 system with the T-Cell-15 cell.

Question is: Does reading a lower salt level on the computer than what is actually in the pool indicative of a cell going bad or does it just die in one shot? I can still make Chlorine, but I had to raise the salt level significantly to let the cell "think" I am in the right range.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG reading Low Salt when I know that not to be the case

The first thing to check is to make sure the cell is clean of scale.

If it is clean of scale then there is a good chance the cell is starting to wear out if the salinity readout is significantly lower than the actual number.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Ping. I forgot to mention. I did clean off in a diluted acid solution. It didn't help. I think it's time for a new cell.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

4. Back To Top    #4

Leslie's usually have testers for Hayward cells if there is one by you.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Leslie's usually have testers for Hayward cells if there is one by you.
    Good call. I had it tested and it failed. It doesn't say why it failed. The result is either a pass or a fail. No in between. New cell ordered (online company) and is on it's way. I got 6 full seasons with the original genuine T-Cell-15. I only got 4 from the after market replacement (CompuPool). Needless to say I spent a little more this time and got the genuine again. The CompuPool was a cool design because you can see through the cell and see the chlorine gas being produced. But if the life isn't as good, not worth it.