Opened, sandpaper sides, help!

m_more

May 16, 2014
Montgomery, NY
Intex 16x48 ultra frame and 16" (i think) intex sand filter. Sorry this might be long. I want to give some background but also I'm pregnant and my brain is at minimum capacity. ha!!

This is our second year with this pool but first with this filter. We're waiting for a taylor test kit husband ordered.

I took care of the pool last year and it stayed beautifully sparkling with the exception of one or two heavy use days where it got a little cloudy but it was gone in a day. I gave husband the task of closing. He did a poor job at it. He had a pool as a kid and had to take care of it as a teen so his enthusiasm on a pool last year was 0 and I think he wanted it to fail. The cover fell in by november since he wasn't "done" closing it but started in October.

Our pool was a beautiful green swamp a couple of days ago when I decided to start the cleaning process to get it ready for the heat. While I didnt have a proper test kit, after ordering the sand filter, my clearing results are phenomenal..I brushed the whole pool about 30 times, pumped to waste and dumped chlorine in there like it was going out of style. All visible green algae is gone, all floating dead white algae seems to be gone and all leaves and twigs and organic stuff is gone. We now have a beautiful, almost sparkling, pool.

After getting all the sludge and stuff out and being able to see the bottom and letting it filter for 48 hours... I decided to test with my mediocre kit.

the Chlorine was at an outstanding extra pure twity bird yellow, way off the color chart.

Ph. 7.2
Ta 120
hardness 220

Cya Didn't even register but I've added and dumped so much water in the vacuuming process. I added stabilizer leftover from last year and will test again in a few day.

Now to the fun part. The sides of the pool feel like sandpaper and it barely comes off with the brush. BUT comes off with NO effort using a scotchbrite no-scratch pad. I've been reading and it seems like it could be scale. I'm not sure though if I should just be scrubbing it off or adding chemicals to help after scrubbing it or adding chemicals and not scrubbing it off. The water looks mostly beautiful and I'd love to get it ready for next weekend. As this pregnant lady needs to cool off while the kids are in school.

HELP!!

It could be scale. Hard to tell until you validate all of your test results with the Taylor K-2006 you ordered. It's much more accurate. If you are able to rub the pool surfaces and remove the build-up, that's great. Once removed, simply maintain the proper levels with your K-2006 test kit will work. Although the husband may owe you a dinner out for not following proper winterization closing procedures. :)

Bwwaahaaaha! As funny as it may be to watch, I would not advise letting him go for a dunk until you have some stabilizer in the water. The bleach (FC) is especially potent without any CYA registering on the test. But you did in-fact add some right? Was it the granule type? All dissolved in the water? And if so, do you remember how much was added?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.