Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anything I should do before the first swim of the season?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anything I should do before the first swim of the season?

Over the winter, I just maintain my pool to stay clear, occassionally, there's small green algae here and there, I'd just scrap it off level my chemical and good to go. It's going to be hot this week, water is clear but I do notice a little bit of algae on the steps that developed after a few days.

My tests 2 days ago was

PH: 8.2
    FC: .5
    CYA: 70 (this used to be around 35-40 all season last year, I got lazy and started to use tabs during the winter)

new reading that same day

FC. 4

Last night I noticed some more green algae, I'm going to do another test today. It's going to be hot so I want to toss the solar blanket over to heat up the pool so we can swim in a few days. Should I shock the pool first and let the FC go down before throwing on the blnaket?
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Anything I should do before the first swim of the season?

SLAM TIME!!!

Are you under water restrictions? You'd be better off with a lower CYA.
    32K gallon Plaster - 1hp Hayward 2 speed Super Pump - Hayward S200 Sand Filter - TF100XL
    Test Kits - Pool Math - Chlorine/CYA/Target/Slam Chart

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm in California, someone would slap me across the wrist if i replace the water. Lol

For a 20k gallon pool how much should i be draining to bring cya down by 30 points?

I saw something the other day that u can add to help with the cya level.

4. Back To Top    #4

Almost half the pool would need to be drained. You can manage with 70, mine is 80. On purpose.

Just be sure to use enough chlorine to keep it at target so you pool is properly sanitized. Chlorine CYA Chart

+1 on a SLAM to get rid of the algae. Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Something interesting happened, I just went outside and noticed no more algae on the steps.

I have not changed anything since Friday afternoon, I forgot that it's Tuesday today and that we had a holiday weekend. So my original post said 2 days that's incorrect.

I just tested everything again and did it slow and here's my current reading. What this is telling me that my FC only drop about 1ppm since Friday or either I added a little too much chlorine.

Water Temp - 69
    FC -3.5
    CC- 5
    PH - 8.2
    TA - 100
    Calcium - 450
    CYA - 55
    SF Bay

********20,000 gallon IG Fiberglass, DE Filter, Hayward Max-Flo VS, Taylor TF-100 Test, Circupool RJ-45********