Newbie to TFP. Trying to clear a cloudy pool

Jul 17, 2015
Huntsville/AL
I'll try to keep this brief and am appreciative of any help. I have been fighting a cloudy pool since opening it 2 weeks ago. The pool stores have been no help and ignored my high CYA levels (99) when guiding me on what to do. So, yesterday I drained half of my pool and refilled it to bring the CYA down. I now have a less cloudy pool with much better CYA levels. I am hoping you can guide me to the clear pool that the pool stores could not. Here are my pool store test results after the refill (Test kit is on order):

FAC: 1
TAC: 1
CH: 200
CYA: 40
TA: 120
pH: 7.6

Thank you in advance!

You'll need to SLAM the pool. Great work on getting your test kit ordered. Hopefully it's the TF-100 as it's the best kit available and the best value.

Good work on getting that CYA down, but be sure to test it with your kit when it arrives to make sure it's correct. As per the SLAM procedure, you'll need to drop your pH to 7.2 FIRST, then get more chlorine in the pool for the SLAM. Adjust pH first as the pH test is inaccurate when FC levels are at SLAM levels.

Links to relevant articles are in my signature. Good luck and welcome to TFP! :wave:

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP!

Those numbers look pretty good. Nice work getting your pool there! Definitely need to SLAM to get rid of the algae.

Chlorine is low. Chlorine level is set based on CYA level and the Chlorine CYA Chart. Always keep FC at targrt amd never let it drop below minimum or the pool will be unsanitary and algae can grow.

I just wanted to give a thank you to JVTrain, pooldv, and BuckeyeChris. By day 4 of the SLAM, my pool was crystal clear. It now has perfect levels (according to my new TF-100 test kit) and is looking great. I can't thank you enough for helping resolve something two pool stores couldn't. I am moving ahead with the TFP method of maintaining my pool and look forward to a summer of enjoyment.

I just wanted to give a thank you to JVTrain, pooldv, and BuckeyeChris. By day 4 of the SLAM, my pool was crystal clear. It now has perfect levels (according to my new TF-100 test kit) and is looking great. I can't thank you enough for helping resolve something two pool stores couldn't. I am moving ahead with the TFP method of maintaining my pool and look forward to a summer of enjoyment.

You're most welcome! Thanks so much for checking back in. It's great to hear good news at the end. That's the only reason we stick around TFP. We enjoy helping fellow pool owners. Stick with TFP methods and you'll be fine. The only problem is that you'll start to develop Sparklypoolitis. Symptoms include adding DE to your sand filter to get it even clearer and spending the extra money you save from not going to the pool store on lots of pool toys and test kit accessories. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.