Bubbles sputtering out of pool returns every few seconds?

Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I have a 15k SWG in ground pool with 3 return jets and a pressure side return (I don't use this anymore because I have a robot). I'm trying to figure out what is causing my return jets to have air bubbles coming out of them every 5-10 seconds. I don't have any "unions" coming from my three suction side lines going to the pump basket. I've checked the drain plug on my pump and it is tighten all the way. The only thing that I can come up with that may be the cause is my pump basket lid. I've noticed that when I take it off, the gasket comes falls out often (I was told this shouldn't happen). When I screw the lid back on, the lips on the lid only screw on about halfway on the pump basket lip edges before it gets tight and I'm not able to screw it on completely where the lips are fully engaged onto the pump basket lips. It "feels" tight but I'm assuming the lid must be warped a little because my spa pump lid screws on all the way. It is tight enough to catch a prime though, but I'm wondering if that may be the cause of the air bubbles coming out of my pool return jets? If not, I don't know what else it could be!

SWGs create bubbles. To be sure that's it, turn off the SWG and see if your bubbles go away.
It's not constant bubbles coming out, more like a "sputtering" of bubbles every few seconds. But it's definitely noticeable, especially if I put the return water strictly going to my pool returns instead of diverting some to my spa overflow and two waterfalls.

Yes, mine sputters too. I turn off SWG and they disappear.
Hmmmm...well I need to add some salt to my pool this afternoon, so I'll have the SWG off for a while and I'll check the returns and see if the air bubbles cease. If they continue even with the SWG turned OFF, then should the pump basket lid be the next thing I replace? I just don't know what else it could be! Are the air bubbles pretty noticeable I yours too?

Very noticeable. You can hear them standing at the edge of the pool.

You usually know if the lid is the problem if you have bubbles in the lid when the pump is running. I get a few at really low speed on my pump, but none at high speed. I've seen some videos on here what it looks like when the lid is leaking, it's pretty obvious. Also, unless your lid says "do not lubricate", you should be using some o-ring lube. I've seen that alone fix a leaky lid before.

Very noticeable. You can hear them standing at the edge of the pool.

You usually know if the lid is the problem if you have bubbles in the lid when the pump is running. I get a few at really low speed on my pump, but none at high speed. I've seen some videos on here what it looks like when the lid is leaking, it's pretty obvious. Also, unless your lid says "do not lubricate", you should be using some o-ring lube. I've seen that alone fix a leaky lid before.

The lid isn't actually leaking at all. But the lid doesn't screw on and engage all the way, but it does get tight and the pump primes up fine. I only have one or two small bubbles in the lid of the pump basket once it's primed, maybe half dollar in size, is this normal? Maybe it is the SWG then (fingers crossed).

Unfortunately it isn't the SWG. Turned it off, diverted water to mostly pool return and the sputtering air bubbles were still there and just as loud. It's obviously more noticeable when I put more water going only to pool returns.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.