Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with questions

Thanks for the add and thanks for the great site.

We just uncovered our pool last week. Looks great with a little trash on the bottom. This will be our third season with the pool.
    We have the perma salt system and have had no problems. We were pool stored. The guy only had us add a bag of salt. So he sold us a partial Perma salt system.
    I keep the Cu level at .3 and have been shocking every 2 weeks. After reading here I wanting to go to the BBB system.
    My question is if i go to the BBB system would it help or hurt to keep the Perma salt system in place? My thinking is that the Cu has taken car of the algae and could continue to do this until the chamber needs to be replaced.

OTO & Phenol red
    Ph-7.4
    Ch-0.6
    Intsa Test strips expired 10/15
    Alk-40
    Ph-6.8
    Cu-0.3

I ordered a Taylor k-2006 before i found your site. What is the difference in your test kit and this one?

Looks like i need to add borax, baking soda & bleach

Any suggestions on warming the pool? We have a solar blanket. Do i run the pump during the day or night or both? High speed or low?

24' AG Round 12,700 Gallon ( w/ 45" level) Vinyl Liner
    Pentair Sand Dollar SD-40 Sand Filter w/ 1.5 HP 2 Speed Pump
    Perma Salt system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with questions

Hello and welcome! To your main question.....discontinue use of that Perma Salt right away and remove any related products. One of the issues with that system is it's adding copper to your water. That's no good at all. The Taylor kit will accurately test pH, TA, CH CYA, and in addition test FC and CC levels well-over 5 ppm which is important when a pool has a high CYA or needs to be "SLAMmed" (link below) to remove algae. Regular liquid bleach is your best sanitizer with next to no by-products added. Ordering the K-2006 was a good choice. Until then, I wouldn't do too much other than just add about 1/2 gallon or so of bleach to your pool each day. The K-2006 will confirm everything you need to know. Now let's just hope that the copper level hasn't gone-up any more which could complicate things for you later. Great to have you with us.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yeah, I'd rather wait for your K2006 to get there than try to work with these numbers, we will be here when you have it!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the responses. My daughter is driving me crazy to swim so i took a sample to the pool store. I did not buy anything. Here is their findings.

Ph-7.4
    Ch-0.5
    Alk-50
    Cal 110
    CYA 60
    Looking at the calculator it is telling me to add 12 oz of borax & 120 oz of baking soda.
    I was thinking of adding 12 oz of borax and 30 oz of baking soda. What do you guys think? I have some old 3" chlorine tablets should i put a couple in the strainer basket and run the pump om high until dissolved?

I also thought the tablets would help raise the CYA.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Walkertown NC ( North Central NC 30 miles from Greensboro, NC)
    Pool gets 6-7 hours of sun on a sunny day

5. Back To Top    #5

I think it's great that you are using the Poolmath calculator. But unfortunately I wouldn't recommend taking any action on those pool store test results. I know it' shard to believe - a pool store right? But we often find just about everything they test to be incorrect to a point that a pool owner may add too much chemicals, not enough, or add something never even needed. Right now your best bet is to just add about 1/2 gallon of regular bleach each day. You're correct that tabs increase CYA, but you don't need that at the moment. The bleach is pure chlorine and won't effect anything other than give you some FC for sanitation. Now if this is really difficult on you, there's the option of purchasing a very small, cheap HTH-brand drop test kit at Wal-Mart. It's about $6 I think. With that you won't get accurate FC (only up to 5) but you also get pH. I just don't want you to spend a ot of money on things you don't really need.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks i mis read the CYA in pool school. Dose not look like i need anymore CYA at the time. I will wait on my kit.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Guys
    I vacuumed the pool Monday and then brushed the walls. I had a lot of brown stuff on the bottom this morning. Vacuumed again today about 1:00. Now at 7:00 more has appeared. Is this algee? I have never had this before. What should i do. My test kit is not supposed to be here until tomorrow or Friday. Checked water with a different brand of test strip. Looks like they expired 10/15

FCl between 0 & 0.5
    Alk80
    PH 6.8
    TH 0pool.jpg
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Just keep doing what you're doing - brushing & sweeping. Add about 1/2 gal of bleach each evening. Once you have your test kit in-hand, we'll be ready to roll.

9. Back To Top    #9

IS it ok to slowly pour the bleach into the skimmer? If not how do you guys handle adding it?
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Don't pour into the skimmer. That's too close to the pump. Near return jets is best then manually help move around if needed.

11. Back To Top    #11

Finally received my kit
    FC 2.0 ppm
    CC 1.0 ppm
    PH 7.5
    ALK 80
    CYA 3

Looks like i need to raise the FC to 3. Is that what you guys suggest? I bought some sodium hypochlorite 10% at wally word. How much do i add?

Thanks
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

How are you getting a CYA of 3?
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D

13. Back To Top    #13

Sorry should have been 30
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

14. Back To Top    #14

FC at 4 is better. Use Poolmath, link above, to calculate how much bleach to add.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    FC at 4 is better. Use Poolmath, link above, to calculate how much bleach to add.
    Thanks
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Once i get the FC at 4. How much 10% chlorine liquid should i add each night?
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

That depends on your target FC and pool volume. Each evening, measure FC (as well as Ph), plug the result into PoolMath, set your target , and add the suggested amount of bleach.
    8,500gal plaster in-ground with attached spa, two floor drains, one skimmer. Chlorine, City Water.
    Pentair WhisperFlo 1hp Pump, MagnaTek Midcentury EPlus motor, Pentair CleanNClear 200SF Cartridge filter, Purex Triton MiniMax 250 Gas Heater, Pentair SunLite, AutoFill.
    Kreepy Krauly Cruiser, TF-100 with SpeedStir. :D