It's the previous owner's fault!!! Need new coping, tile, and acid etch this summer

May 31, 2016
Kensington NH
Dear All,

Our pool was severely neglected by the previous owner, having not been covered properly for several seasons, and the freeze-thaw cycles in our climate tore the tile and coping up pretty badly. The entire filtration system works properly but the plaster is deeply stained, much of the tile has fallen off, and most of the coping (stone pavers laid in cement mortar) is dislodged from its substrate. The plaster, however, is in good structural condition with no cracks or spalling, but it is rough and we are tired of skinned knees and ankles! The pool needs the following (in my opinion): Drain, acid etch, tile removal/repair, and coping repair.

I believe I am capable of doing all of this work myself, as I am a guild-trained master plasterer (for houses), and also have plenty of experience with stone masonry and mortars. However, I would greatly appreciate insight into the following: correct mortar and mastic types as well as any particular bonding agents that work best with a chlorine system, and maybe a reference to the most reliable step-by-step process for the etching procedure.

Also, does anyone have any solid info about epoxy pool paint? Our plaster is sound and does not look like it needs resurfacing, and to be honest I dread undertaking that big of a project. I would like to seal the now-rough plaster to help better manage biological growth, and also make to smoother to the touch. I am willing to entertain painting the plaster, even if it puts us on a regular cycle for this type of maintenance. Thoughts?

Cheers,

Steven