New AGP Install (Hampshire, IL) Started April 2016

cubbienate

Gold Supporter
May 3, 2016
Hampshire, IL
I wanted to start posting my progress of my AGP install. I also wanted to post the things that went well and things I maybe should have hired someone to do so far... Enjoy!

Pool - Saltwater 5000 Oval
Surround - 42' x 25' Pool Deck

Concept Pool Image (Made with VisionScape)

Pool Site Marked

Scrapped Sod with Bobcat (If you DIY like I did spend the money and rent a sod cutter. You can thank me now, learned that the hard way)

Started to Level Ground (Rent a Transit Level to help level the ground. Looked level before we started and it was almost a foot from corner to corner)

Poured all the post holes for the deck (Only needed 48, maybe the deck was a bit large... We wanted to make sure things went smooth when the pool was installed.)

Poured a pad to put my pump and heater on. Was going to install under the deck but after much reading on TFP, I am glad I did some research first. This will have a small enclosure around it to keep yard debris out. Also stubbed up conduits for my bond loop. I will have a panel board along the back for all of my electric.

Dry fit all of my PVC connections for my pump. We got a ton of rain Memorial Day weekend so I had to find some indoor projects. Pool hopefully coming soon!

(5/31/16) This is as far as I have gotten with this project so far. Going to have a plumber run a gas line for me but this whole project will be a DIY'er with the knowledge of TFP and the internet! Cheers friends! ~Nate

I might have to challenge your "ton of rain" I am a handful of miles from you and didn't get out of the pool from Sunday morning to Monday night. ;) Yes, Friday and Sat nights were rainy but otherwise gorgeous. Your fittings look like DWV fittings? If so, look to use schedule 40 fittings, especially if you are burying any.

Looks great and I will be following this one. Bobcats always look impressive until you try to dig with them and you realize just how long its going to take!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Sch 40 (NOPE! I had the wrong connectors, OOPS!! Thanks for the catch Pool Tool! Heading back to the hardware store today to get the right connectors, glad I only dry fit everything :) ) . They all were, I over research everything and found 4 posts about hard piping everything and figured might as well start it that way! The bobcat seems awesome until you start digging and realize that you do not know how to drive a bobcat that well. I had a landscaped dig out for a shed and haul dirt and man did he make it look easy! That is where I learned how much easier it would have been had I rented a sod cutter. Oh well!

This was my "pool" Sunday morning. Thought the storm was going to miss us at one point but that didn't happen...

Last edited:
Loving it all! LOL on the dry fit! That is a good idea to make sure you have everything you need. LOVE seeing the unions! Don't forget to get GOOD valves to shut the different part off.

Thanks for sharing! We LOVE a good build!

Kim:cat:

Pool Tool, this is my week! Finally no rain in the forecast! Framers are coming Saturday to frame the deck so that is my motivation... Glad things got held up because now Menards has 11% off so I guess that is a good thing! Pictures will be posted this week!

I don't know about Home Depot, but Lowes will match Menards 11% rebate as well. Just take your receipt to the customer service desk and they give you a gift card on the spot! They occasionally have a lost puppy look on there face, but just say that they matched the 11% Menards sale last time. Eventually somebody will straighten it out.

No rain, yeah! But cool, I'm going to be burning a little propane this week ;)

Thanks for the tip Pool Tool! Made some progress today! All level and ready to go. Got my wall track laid and my main buttresses up and level. Walls, liner and water tomorrow!

I also got my posts up for my pad. I am going to mount plywood between those for all of my electric and build a small pump enclosure with removable sides.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Love your deck design! I hope to eventually have something similar for our pool and hot tub. We are also in the process of getting our first pool, which will hopefully be installed by the end of this month. Hubby is very busy with work these days so didn't want to have to do the ground work or deal with hiring anyone so we purchased from a pool store and are having them do the install. It's just so hard to wait! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project - hope it all goes smoothly!

Thanks for all of the feed back! I have a question about my liner. It is a uni-bead and it is wrinkled a bit on the bottom. Will this smooth out as it fills or do I need to pump the water so far and fix first? Only at 510 gallons now so not the end of the world if I have to restart. Don't want to make stupid mistakes this close to the finish line! Posting pictures and water test shortly :)

Need Help - Unibead Liner

Pool is up! Started the fill but I stopped. Going to try and get all the wrinkles out in the morning before adding anymore water. Added one gallon of Walmart bleach to the pool for the night. Did my first PH test and I was at 7.6. Holding off on other tests until the pool has more water in it. Have my CYA ready to go for when the pool is full! Thanks everyone for all the help! I plan to become a supporter and contributor to this great site! Love all the feedback and info provided!

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Patio blocks installed for walls and gas line being installed

Sand moved in to position

Floor pad and cove installed

Liner in place and some water in pool. First of many family pictures in this pool!

My son ran in the house and came out with his suit on... Some is ready to swim!

Working out the wrinkles in the liner in the morning and then back to work back filling and cleaning up around the pool and getting my filter and pump going! More pictures tomorrow! Time for another beer!!

Cheers friends!!

Loving it all! LOL on the dry fit! That is a good idea to make sure you have everything you need. LOVE seeing the unions! Don't forget to get GOOD valves to shut the different part off.

Thanks for sharing! We LOVE a good build!

KimKats, thanks for the info! I over research everything and this site is killing me! I see all these beautiful setups and just take notes on each one. After reading a lot on the valves I ordered all Pentair 2 way and (1) 3 way valve and (2) Jandy check valves. I put a bunch of unions on this setup just so I can take everything apart with out cutting the pipe. Will post pump pictures this weekend. That part went on the back burner because we finally had some nice weather!

Love your deck design! I hope to eventually have something similar for our pool and hot tub. We are also in the process of getting our first pool, which will hopefully be installed by the end of this month. Hubby is very busy with work these days so didn't want to have to do the ground work or deal with hiring anyone so we purchased from a pool store and are having them do the install. It's just so hard to wait! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished project - hope it all goes smoothly!

Thanks Selkieinme,

The deck started a lot smaller but we plan to add a three season room and when you are playing with the design tool it is very easy for it to get very big quick! I would recommend if you are going to put the deck in later to dig the post holes ahead of time. We had some post holes end up with in 3-4 inches of the pool and you will not be able to dig those easily after it goes in. You can just cap the bolts or just cover them with dirt. I did alot of reading and you might be in for a project later if you don;'t dig the holes first, atleast the ones by the pool. I can scan the post layout tomorrow if you want to see it. We had to dig 48 posts for our deck. 15 were by the pool area. Hope this helps! I will be happy to post or e-mail you the deck design if you want to take a look just to see how close the posts are to the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Looks great! Spend an extra moment to make sure every thing is level too, search for water level here or on youtube if you didn't have a transit or laser level onsite. Coming along!

PoolTool,

We have a laser transit level onsite :) I am OCD when it comes to things being level. We are with in 1/8" on all posts and the concrete blocks. Even checked all the sand before we rolled out the liner. I am so glad I saw info on transit levels. Very easy to use and makes the process much easier! Thanks for all of your tips along the way, they are very helpful and encouraging!

Well it's been a long few days. Found out the directions that come with the pool are not the "correct" way to install the pool after several calls to the place I purchased from. Ended up having to drain twice so far (only about 600 gallons each time) to find out we had to add more sand under the liner and we cut the return and skimmer too early. Very disappointed with the level of service I have received from our supplier. Ended up getting a second liner overnighted just in case I needed it. I was told the directions are not good and that even though the directions that came with the skimmer say cut as you fill that you should wait. I will go in to full details later after I get this resolved.

Anyways on to the good news...

Pool has 8k gallons in it now and the liner has no wrinkles and everything is going very well! Hooking up the filter in the morning and getting all my plumbing done. All of my deck wood got delivered today and I must say it will be a long hopefully productive weekend! Thanks again for all the tips and support along the way!!

Liner pulled back adding more sand

Pool filling again (third times a charm right??)

Can't keep my little fish away from the pool :)

End of a long day. 8k gallons in the pool and most of my trenches filled and ready for the deck framing tomorrow!

More pictures after the weekend!! Cheers!!
:cheers:

- - - Updated - - -

Almost forgot to post, yes all of that wood is for me.

That is sad you had to undo all of the work you had done. It sounds like things might be looking up now though.

That is a LOT of wood! You are going to be sore just unloading it!

What are you going to put down around the bottom of the pool? I suggest you put stepping stones or such under the skimmer and returns just in case they bust or come off/out somehow. You do NOT want a wash out :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.