SWG Cannot keep chlorine levels up. bad cell?

May 26, 2012
Jackson/New Jersey
Can't get chlorine level up..
24,000 gallon pool, aqua-rite SWG, T-9 cell, safety cover

Salt level 2800

Aqua-rite diagnostics
Pool temperature = (74)
Cell voltage (32.5 volts)
Cell current (0.00amp)
Desired Output % (75P - but on superchlorinate)
Instant salinity (-0)
Product name (AL-3)
Software revision level (r1.58)
Chlorinator cell type (t-9)

FC = barely 1 more like .75
CYA = 25
TA = 50
Pool was opened and cleaned, no visible algae, dirt and organics(pine needles) on bottom. all cleaned and added 8 gallons 8.25 bleach(friday), then 2 gallons more following day. Cannot keep chlorine level up. could this be the cell?
Thanks for any help!
Brian

Thanks for any help

Do you have any LED lights on? With those numbers the cell is not producing any chlorine. It could be the cell or a couple other things.

For a quick check, most Leslie's pool stores have a system that checks the cells. If you don't have a Leslie's check other stores near you to see if they have a cell tester.

Get some more bleach in the pool and it would be a good idea to run an OCLT to determine if you have organics consuming the chlorine. If the pool fails the OCLT, then you will have to SLAM the pool.

With your pool size, the cell will have to run 24/7 at 100% to make 3.5ppm of chlorine.

Run an OCLT tonight if you can, I have a strong feeling that you need to SLAM the pool.

A T-15 cell would make double the amount of chlorine in a day compared to the T-9.

With your pool size, the cell will have to run 24/7 at 100% to make 3.5ppm of chlorine.

Run an OCLT tonight if you can, I have a strong feeling that you need to SLAM the pool.

A T-15 cell would make double the amount of chlorine in a day compared to the T-9.

I will do an OCLT tonight and report back in the morning. Strange, the Cell has worked and supplied chlorine for 3 years now, running for 8-10 hours a day....
Thanks Brian
Ps - now time to take out a small loan to buy a t-15, lol

Sorry for not getting back to the group. when I went to check the system the other night, I was getting check cell and low salt indicators. I have added more salt and have it up to around 3100. My cell numers are different now too. It's definitely producing chlorine, but I beleive the cell is on its way out. Will take it to pool store and have cell tested. will also have water tested to see what they say. Think I'm going to buy a t-15 cell and throw it in(after I stabalize my numbers) and see how that goes.
Will report back...

On the t-15 cells, I see some non OEM units, are any of them reliable or just pay ull price for an OEM?

Thanks,
Brian

update - purchased a t-15 from Hayward. Restled with buying a non OEM, but finally said I don't want to gamble. Before I took the cell to the pool store(where they said it errored), I cleaned it with straight white distilled vinegar. After the pool store, I took it home and installed it. It's been working flawlessly and my chlorine #'s are through the roof(6.5 as per this morning). It has been on super chlorinate the whole time after reinstalling. So now I have a brand new unopened t-15 and seems that the T-9 is working. I took it off super-chlorinate this morning and have it at 50%. Will test OCLT tonight and report back after tomorrow mornings test. Only thing I have really done so far is, clean cell with vinegar, and raise the cya a little bit with borax and TA a little bit with baking soda. the test from the pool store(besides telling me my cell was bad) were all in bad shape:
FAC = 0 TAC = 0 Salt = 3000 CaHd = 100 CYA = 40
TA = 60 pH = 7.2 Copper = 0 Iron = 0 Phosphate = 300

Will report all numbers I can after OCLT...

Thanks,
Brian

PS - if I find out that cell is working, should I return T-15 or keep it until needed(do they go bad just sitting watching the grass)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
looks like a SLAM is needed if you lost that much overnight, should be under .5 loss overnight..

How does your water look :) it may go fast

update - purchased a t-15 from Hayward....

PS - if I find out that cell is working, should I return T-15 or keep it until needed(do they go bad just sitting watching the grass)?

Glad the T-9 cleaning worked and I think keeping the T-15 would be fine, but warranty start date will be later if you return and re-buy later.

Be sure to do the OCLT carefully per: Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT). This really needs to be done, k?

Especially, be sure the SWG if turned off for the overnight test. It would be a very good idea to put a half-gallon of bleach in while the pump is still running during the day, so it has time to mix before the OCLT, and the OCLT gets done a high enough level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.