Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: need some trouble shooting for my sand filter

1. Back To Top    #1

need some trouble shooting for my sand filter

hey All. I got our pool up and running this weekend, but having some "issues" with our sand filter. It's a Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter

and I did the usual backwash and then rinse cycle before kicking it into "filtration" yesterday..but when I turn the level over to the "filtration" mode, I still have some water coming out of the backwash hose. Not a ton, but some. What would cause this? How do I fix it??

Thanks much
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: need some trouble shooting for my sand filter

It's possible your spider gasket inside is beginning to show signs of wear. Have you been careful to always turn the multiport valve in the same direction, and only switch modes when the pump is in the "OFF" position?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

This is usually a sign of a worn spider gasket in the multiport valve. It is a fairly easy diy fix if you can find the gasket, however some manufacturers are making the valves so you have to buy the top part of the valve assembly. Its still an easy fix, just more expensive than the gasket alone. You can check with a full service pool store and see if they have the part available.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the speedy replies. Texas- I do only switch "modes' when the pump is off. I don't however only go one direction, I use either direction.

I'll see if I can find the manual and how to remove the spider gasket.
    33' x 52" Swim and Play Inc. PARAGON AGP. Hayward H200 Heater. Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump. Sta-Rite Cristal Flo T-210WF Sand Filter. Stenner 45M5 chlorine pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's an illustration for my pool sand filter pump head. What parts would I need to replace to make my multiport fully operation again??
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by flyweed View Post
    Here's an illustration for my pool sand filter pump head. What parts would I need to replace to make my multiport fully operation again??
    Looks like 8, 12, 13, 16 The actual spider gasket is built into 12. The other O-rings might be worn and deformed and could leak after being disturbed
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Yeah..I just bit the bullet and ordered the whole top half...it was $81.00 and included ALL items (1-13)

8. Back To Top    #8

Sometimes it's just better to take one in the shorts and replace the whole thing. Hope it all works-out for you. Good luck!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!