Any 55+ folks installing a pool?

Aug 5, 2013
We are in the process of taking down our 20+ year AGP. Toying with the idea of making the next pool in ground. Has anyone else done this when you were in 50's or 60's? What was your thought process on it? I am just thinking at some point we won't be able to take care of it ourselves or want to take care of it and don't want to move. ;)

Is a vinyl pool easier to 'retire' when the time comes? I am thinking Fiberglass and Concrete would be harder to get rid of than vinyl.

Many Thanks!!

My husband and I both turned 50 last fall and signed a build contract on an in-ground gunite pool (in progress). For me it's a lifelong dream come true and a wonderful place for future memories with our brood of kids and grandkids. I'm not worried about down the road, just where we are now and enjoying the life we have. We will tackle any "old age" issues when they become issues. AND we will be debt free before we turn 65 :)

About the time I turned 57, we moved into a house that had an inground vinyl pool that needed to be brought back to life. I expect to easily get 20 years or more out of it. I have four daughters who live nearby, and two granddaughters, so the pool will be used for many years to come.

I think fiberglass might be almost as easy to retire as vinyl. If the fiberglass pool is in good shape, they can pull it out of the ground, recondition it, and move it to another location.

Glad to hear I hear I am not crazy for wanting this. The trend seems to be that people tend to give up on pools at this age. It isn't easy to just "stop" being a pool owner, without some work. I know how quickly my parents health deteriorated. After a health scare this year, I want to ENJOY whatever time I have left. Planning to get help with openings and closings, which are the most stressful.

Built a new house and moved to Tucson at age 61. Built the in ground pool the next year. Now at age 72, I am still enjoying my children and grandkids using the pool. We also host regular water aerobics sessions in the pool. As far as the maintenance, I have an infloor cleaning system (you can use a robot instead) and a SWG. Weekly maintainance consists of emptying skimmers, testing and adding a little acid. Backflush and recharge my filter a few times a year. I am planning on continuing to maintain my Trouble Free Pool myself for many years to come.

If you want a pool, go for it!

Our kids and grandkids loved the pool so much, they just bought a new house, with a pool. So I guess they won't be coming over to use our pool very much now.

But, the good news is we should still see them a lot. Their new house is directly across the street from us!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Its been a long month of looking at proposals and making decisions. At this point we are leaning toward not doing a IG pool. Between seeing all the possible things that can go wrong with a build or a pool over time and looking at some of the posts in other places on people keen on filling in their pool, it has been a bit discouraging. Anyone else been down this road and can offer advice? Children are grown. No Grand kids yet and may not live locally. We aren't party people. Hubby is in later 60s, so not sure how long we would be able to take care of a pool. I won't do another AG pool.

I don't find taking care of a pool to be all that difficult, if you follow the TFP method and have a robot cleaner. We just finished our first and only pool (yes, I qualify for the topic!) in April, so maybe it's too early for me because it's all still so new. What we've found is we are outside much more and it's made our backyard much more usable for when we do have people over.

We have had a hot tub since before we got an AGP. We are on our 2nd that is 6 years old now. Would NEVER trade that for anything. For this summer, it has become our "pool". I can get some exercise, float or just sit. It is great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.